Advice?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by achickschirp, Mar 24, 2013.

1. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Thankyou if you subscribe!
    1-Is a cardboard box a good brooder for inside during cold weather?
    2-What should I make the outside brooder out of?
    3-what should I make a coop made out of when their older?
    4-what breed should I get?
    5-Should I pick them up at Orscheln? Or TSC?
    6-Do you know any names that could be boy and girl names? (Example:Danny(Dani), Bobby, Sam(Samantha
    Thankyou very much! VERY!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. annav410

annav410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    From one newbie to another, here is my thoughts:

1-I have seen a lot of cardboard brooder ideas on this website. I currently have mine in a double wide plastic storage bin. I think this is easier to clean but cardboard would be cheaper. Although I got my bins at Walmart for $8 which was a great deal!
    2-It seems like wood and hardware mesh would be a good way to build a larger outdoor brooder. Check out the brooder thread for more ideas
    3-check out the Coop thread. Tons of ideas on how to build coop.
    4-I think this is really dependent on what you want in your flock. Eggs? Temperament? Heat or Cold hearty? I wanted a friendly backyard flock (they are going to be our pets as well as egg layers) and I wanted a variety of egg colors. We live in Colorado so being cold hearty and heat tolerant was important. EE, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Australorps, Sussex, are all great breeds based on my research.
    5-We don't have either of those stores in our area but from what I have read, TSC can be more problematic, so perhaps Orsheln or smaller local feed and ranch store might work better?
    6-It sounds like you already have some great ideas on names! [​IMG]

Finally, I have learned so much on this site and everyone is very helpful!

3. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Thankyou very much it was usefull.....

4. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Hello--

1-- I use a large cardboard box for mine-- it is inexpensive, easily replaced if it does get nasty, and disposable after the chicks get into the coop which means that I DO NOT have to store it anywhere! To help it endure for the long haul I actually used clear packing tape and adhered a dogfood bag into the bottom of it so that if the chick's waste or water does get through the bedding-- it does not saturate the box.
    2-- I do not have an outside brooder (for that matter-- even though I have chicks-- I still don't have a coop because we are in the process of building one out of reclaimed materials. However-- there are some wonderful ideas on this site and if/when I would have an outdoor brooder-- it will be a more permanent structure than my cardboard box!
    3- There are lots of great coop ideas on this site as well and also in some books-- It is important that the coop be kept well ventilated but not drafty in cold weather...Also that it is predator proof! There are many different predators for chickens and/or their eggs! Besides a few other details-- the choices are actually pretty endless as to what you can make your coop out of!
    4- Like Anna said in the above post-- this really is up to you-- you need to research breeds and decide based on what size flock you are going to have and where you are geographically.
    5- I actually chose to get mine directly from the hatchery-- and in doing so-- was able to order six pullets (hens) and even though they occassionally make a mistake-- your chances of getting the gender you want are greatly improved! Where I live-- I don't think a rooster would be very welcomed...
    6- I haven't even figured out what to name mine yet-- but I am going to watch them grow and see what name fits their personalities-- each chicken has a distinct personality--- that is one of the reasons they are so much fun!

Hope this helps!

5. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Thank you for all this help! Those answers were very useful!!!! Thank you once again and I will reply on how they are doing once I get them!!!

6. RedNeckChick1

RedNeckChick1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    How do I make a topic to talk about? Lol sorry I new at this

7. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Well I'm not sure I'm on the mobile site sooo..... On mine you go to the upper right corner and clock something that look like an piece of paper and an arrow. Or if you'd like you can chat about it here?

8. RedNeckChick1

Mar 24, 2013
    Ok well my cousins got me these 2 baby ducks (I have no idea if they are hens or drakes yet) and i need some help naming them I don't really want to name them anything like Donald duck I just think that's WERID so can y'all help me name them (and there both white and I already have an adult duck named Kevin)

9. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    you can use one of my names since you don't know what gender

10. RedNeckChick1

Mar 24, 2013
    What are your names and thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by