advise from the pros :)

happyhens4me

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
live in Virginia. We are expecting alot of snow-anywhere from 18 to 24 inches. Its my first winter w/chickens, whats your best tips, advise? Thnx

Hi, I can't advise as I live in Kenya and we don't do cold weather :), but if you search your state thread or search for keeping chickens in winter, you may find some useful info.

All the best

Ct

Just make sure that your coop is draft free, dry, and well ventilated to prevent moisture from building up inside it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold.

Thank you Micheal. My coop is all that but no heat light. its staying around 20 degrees. Is it ok for the hens to be out in the snow, or will they get too wet. I ask because they usually go in their coop if it starts raining while they are free ranging but dont seem concerned about the snow lol

Thank you Micheal. My coop is all that but no heat light. its staying around 20 degrees. Is it ok for the hens to be out in the snow, or will they get too wet. I ask because they usually go in their coop if it starts raining while they are free ranging but dont seem concerned about the snow lol

You're welcome. You don't need a heat lamp. It's fine for your hens to go out into the snow as long as they have a dry, draft free but well ventilated coop to return to.

Back
Top Bottom