Advise me on Bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bug n Flock, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Howdy Folks!

I currently have no chickens(sadface), but plenty of quail! I live in a city that allows hens, but I have some pretty awful neighbors and a micromanaging landlord, so can only keep birds indoors. I was advised recently to look into banties, as I may be able to keep a small handful of them indoors like how I keep my quail.

What breeds do you guys like and why? Are bantie roos as loud as full size roos? I can handle the coturnix crow indoors, is it similar in volume to that? If not, no worries I can just keep ladies.

Any general advice for a would-be indoor chicken keeper? How about general advice on banties?

Anybody have experience with Serama Bantams? They look so tiny and adorable!

Thanks,
    Bug

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Bantam roosters are just as loud as large fowl roosters, they just have higher pitched crows. Keeping chickens indoors is a bit difficult, as available space is greatly reduced. Special attention will have to be given to keeping them entertained.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Love the idea, hate the reality!

Chickens are messy as well as noisy and stinky. [​IMG]

Just brooding chicks indoors for several weeks left a layer of dust on my walls so thick, just imagine all the surfaces covered in it, like your pillow. [​IMG]

Even banties love to dirt bath. They are definitely cute. I love that silkies are essentially flightless. And they seem basically sweet. But all problems that exist is large fowl flocks will also persist in bantams. Another thing is that they usually aren't sexed (that I know of) and rarely sold at the feed stores. And many hatcheries have large minimum order size.

I suggest if it's something you REALLY want to do that you save your time, energy, and $ while you look for another place you can afford that will be more suitable to your current desires.

Nosey neighbors and picky land lords could take the joy out a lovely and worth while hobby, and you don't want that.

Plus as a fact I can tell you that all birds like to be outside sun bathing at some point, It's just not natural to be locked inside four walls.

I am sure you could probably do it... but I advise against adding that kind of stressor to your life.

Best wishes!

4. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    So the boys are right out then. I can't do high pitched, hurts my ears too much. As for entertainment, that shouldn't be a problem. Toys treats and company should go a long way. Is their space requirement the same as a full size hen? My quail do well with right around 1 sq ft each, will a bantie hen still need 4 sq ft?

5. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    As for messiness... hahahahahaha I maintain a literal zoo (no joke, check some of my other threads) so I am used to constant cleaning and I run air filters. I am new to chickens but definitely NOT to birds... I've had them since I was 9.

I know it isn't the same thing as natural sunlight, but I also run full spectrum lights in 90% of my fixtures, and uvb/a in the other 10%.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most bantams need a minimum of 2 sq ft of coop space and about 6 to 8 sq ft of run space. Chickens aren't really interested in 'toys' the same way most captive birds are. Bells and mirrors hold little interest for them. Treats should be limited, seeing as there isn't a whole lot of opportunity for them to burn off the extra calories indoors. Chickens' needs are very basic, but providing for those needs indoors, in a house, can be quite the challenge. They need dirt for dust bathing, for instance. That will cause an incredible amount of mess. They will scratch in search of bugs, even on a carpet or tile floor. The usual chicken entertainment tricks like a pile of grass clipping or compost is probably not something you want in your home. Honestly, it would probably be better for you to wait till you are in a situation in which you can let them be outside. A flock of chickens, even bantam ones, do not make for great house pets.

7. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    I'm well aware that chickens play differently than parrots. My aunt has a farm with many chickens that I have spent time on when I was growing up. Quail also play differently than parrots. And finches do, and doves, etc etc etc. I wouldn't expect a cat to play the same way as a dog, why would I expect a chicken to play the same as a parrot? I also had a house duck who was very messy but also very worth the work. I was told many many times that ducks make bad house pets, but frankly he was a fantastic companion, even if his daily baths made a mess. So far, it seems to me every obsticle you have presented is surmountable as long as it is addressed before getting the birds.

I have no problems getting a large number of chicks and stocking my freezer with the birds I don't keep for eggs. I raise many animals as feeders for my predatory animals; I don't get squeamish at process time.

Also want to put a disclaimer here im on my phone on my commute so if I have typos or sound short, that's why.

8. EggSighted4Life

I like animals, and have volunteered at the zoo. It's my form of maintaining my insanity so I don't go postal. [​IMG]

I have 2 goats, 48 Chickens (44 this week), and 3 large indoor dogs. I keep myself busy doing constructive, productive stuff instead of drugs or worse. I have raised fish, hampsters, rabbits, cats, even raccoon when i was a kid (don't recommend it), and other stuff.... lizards, frogs.

It's good that you run air filters.

I agree with Junebuggena on the 2 sq foot for baties. And also about them having short attention spans unless of course we are talking about your favorite plant they just seem to lu=ove digging out.

Is your land lord the owner? Are you in apartments?

Holy Cow, quit driving and typing!!!

You are crazy!! Having a house duck. [​IMG] I won't even get those for my 1 acre yard. [​IMG]

It's clear you are going to get chickens... get which kind of banties you like. I like all of mine, which are only a white crested black polish, a welsumer. and 3 silkies. I personally like having more than one breed. makes for more prettiness in my yard and egg basket. And even the banty boys are edible since you have no problem processing. [​IMG]

9. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    Oh, no I'm in a nice big house. Gotta love the historic district, this beast of a city house has three floors and a cellar! And hehe bus commuter here, so no typing/driving conflict.

I have animals all through the house, but mostly up on the third floor (nominally "my" floor haha, it's the critters' floor).

Gunter was a handful but man was he great I highly recommend ducks, but even outdoors they are MESSY!

If I hear a reason not to get chickens that I cannot engineer a workaround, I would absolutely reconsider. And if at any point they seem unhappy I could always rehome them (to my freezer probably). I am thinking of doing like I did with the quail: start small number and young birds. If they turn out to be too much bird for in the house I will scrap the project and wait till I have land.

10. EggSighted4Life

I recommend not less than 3, but more if you have to have them shipped since many don't make it (at least for me, USPS has really messed up my route 3 out of 3 times). My favorite sized group for small flocks is 5 for various reasons. But it's best not to start maxed out on your space.

Glad you aren't driving! [​IMG]

I do my best as well and know that I can make other plans as needed. My chicken breeding plans have changed so many times already and I'm sure they will continue to grow and alter with the challenges.

You have a little more experience than someone just starting out so that should help quite a bit. [​IMG]

I think the mille fleur d'uccles are cute. [​IMG]

Don't think I could have my own zoo and have a job.... good for you. Like you say, just know your limits and that of the animals and adjust as needed.

Don't forget to ENJOY! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by