Advise Needed on Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Apr 23, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    For those of you who have used a separate bator for hatching-I have an LG that did not work well for my last go-around. I think that now that I have my bator set up in a temp. controlled room, the LG would work much better. I am scared to put my 18 day old eggs in it though, because my hova is doing such a great job. I have 5 quail eggs that will need to go into hatcher mode on day 15, so I'll for sure have to put them in there. How long ahead of time should I try to get the LG set up and regulated for hatching? Should I then move my chicken eggs in the hatcher on day 18, or just jump the humidity up in my hova? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    If you can I would just leave them in the hovabator. It's more reliable and just increase your humidity a bit.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's what I was leaning toward. I have to move the quail out because they have a shorter incubation period than the chickens. I want the quail to hatch, but I need the chickens to hatch. The quail eggs came free with my quail, but I spent a lot of time and money on my bantam eggs. I was just feeling leary of moving them from my precious hova-now I don't think I will. [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by