1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Advise Needed on Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Apr 23, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    For those of you who have used a separate bator for hatching-I have an LG that did not work well for my last go-around. I think that now that I have my bator set up in a temp. controlled room, the LG would work much better. I am scared to put my 18 day old eggs in it though, because my hova is doing such a great job. I have 5 quail eggs that will need to go into hatcher mode on day 15, so I'll for sure have to put them in there. How long ahead of time should I try to get the LG set up and regulated for hatching? Should I then move my chicken eggs in the hatcher on day 18, or just jump the humidity up in my hova? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. If you can I would just leave them in the hovabator. It's more reliable and just increase your humidity a bit.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's what I was leaning toward. I have to move the quail out because they have a shorter incubation period than the chickens. I want the quail to hatch, but I need the chickens to hatch. The quail eggs came free with my quail, but I spent a lot of time and money on my bantam eggs. I was just feeling leary of moving them from my precious hova-now I don't think I will. [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: