1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advise needed please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gsxrjay58, Mar 20, 2015.

1. gsxrjay58

gsxrjay58 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Here is a picture of one of my new chicks, My question is they are 4 weeks today from when I brought them home and i don't know how old they were when I got them (Very young since the store just got them in that day) anyway I am looking to get them in the coop with no extra heat fairly soon and was wondering peoples opinions on when is right. I live in Arizona and the temp for the next 10 days is lows in the low 60's and highs up to 90 and only getting hotter. From pictures I have seen it seemed as a 4 week old chick looks bigger and maybe more feathers then mine and I don't want to put them out to early but the sooner there out of my house the better... Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    So the night time low is only 60 degrees correct? How many chicks do you have and more importantly who is already in the coop? These are way to small to put in with full sized hens. They would have been 2-3 days old when you bought them.

3. gsxrjay58

gsxrjay58 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    8 total chicks, and its my first time so no chickens in the coop and yes 60-63 for the low next 10 days.

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Do they still have a heat lamp? If so turn it off. If they are able to behave normally with out the light give them a couple of days to adjust to this drop in temp and then put them in the coop. Do not give them access to the run yet. If it is going to be rainy or windy check them and be ready to bring them in.

5. gsxrjay58

gsxrjay58 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Will do, Thanks for your answer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by