Advise on new pullet dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by L and M Farms, Jan 26, 2014.

1. L and M Farms

L and M Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    So I bought 7 Dominique Saturday night the breeder told me they might have a cold because of our crazy weather hot one day then below freezing the next. We have been medicating there water an food all seemed well but tonight I found one died they are about 10 weeks old have light an heater on them in a closed in room. They have runny noses and eyes are watering some are sticking together no sneezing yet. Any advise would be very helpful. THANKS.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    was it a local breeder? my advise is demand your money back. people that raise and sell chickens know they dont get colds. you need a different antibiotic but im not the right person to advise you on which one to use. hopefully someone will come and help soon.[​IMG] dont ever buy sick chickens, you will just be in for heartache.

1 person likes this.
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Are these birds segregated? Please take them back, they should never sell sick birds, it will put the rest of your flock at risk. These birds even jf they get better are carriers for life and will get other birds sick.

1 person likes this.
  4. L and M Farms

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    yes he is a local breeder i bought all of my RIR an my silkies from him they have all did great but not this one I called him an he said he would refund my money or give me another bird. But the main thing is just trying to figure out what I need to be giving the rest of them.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  6. L and M Farms

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    Yes I have them in a pen in a out side building very far away from my flock. The weird thing is the day before I bought these from him he got licensed to be a breeder and a seller in our state an he told me that they did blood work on every bird he had that day?

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Its unfortunate he would sell birds knowing they are sick. Send that bird for a necropsy if you can, put it in the fridge not the freezer.

8. L and M Farms

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    from what I have read I think it could be infectious bronchitis. Thank you very much for the link.

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I was was asking a local breeder if they vaccinated against Marek's disease, they said they use too, however, they had a lot of deaths from the disease after vaccination and decided not to do it anymore, and have a few birds a year die from it, and they continue to sell birds and chicks. I couldn't believe they would sell chicks and birds knowing they have the disease on their farm.

10. L and M Farms

Jan 25, 2014
    Alabama
    ok I will do that because if it is the fact that he is selling birds that he does know is sick then the people that just gave him he's license should know this. I am not mad about losing one or even getting ripped off I just don't want to risk my larger flock of birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by