1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Advise on raising baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meresa1991, Aug 25, 2007.

1. meresa1991

meresa1991 New Egg

Aug 8, 2007
    We have 1 rooster and two hens. One of the hens has been sitting for 3 weeks and finally one of her two eggs hatched! So she is now sitting on 1 baby chick and 1 egg. My question, what do I need to do? She is in her house, in her little box. In the house we have water and food. Do I need to put out special baby chick food? Can I trust the rooster around the baby chick? The rooster is 3 months old. Any advise would be appreciated!

FYI I posted 2 weeks ago and got wonderful and quick advise. Thanks SO Much..you guys were right on!

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I have no experience raising chicks with a mommy... but I would keep my eye on that rooster!! (even the other hen)
    Can't do any harm to put some baby food in - although I'm not sure about medicated, if mom decides to eat it as well - stick to un-medicated to be safe.

3. meresa1991

meresa1991 New Egg

Aug 8, 2007
    The other egg hatched! We now have two babies! Now we have another egg in there. Did she just lay it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by