advise on size of the poltary and number of birds.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andybest007, Mar 11, 2014.

1. andybest007

andybest007 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Dear all,

I would like the professionals in the forum to advise me on the right calculation for my chicken house, though it is a poltary, just needed your impute.

I plan to start my pltary with about 3,200 birds, and the sice of the poltary would be 35 X 80 fit, I hope there would be enough space for the birds.

Your impute is highly appreciated.

Br,
    Andrew.

2. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

That's alot of birds. Are we to assume you are doing market chickens? Even so, 3200 birds in 2800 square feet would be extremely crowded, within just a couple of weeks. So crowded that unless you were using methods generally frowned upon these days, that you would start experiencing health issues in your chickens. You may want to re-evaluate.... Just my opinion.

3. andybest007

andybest007 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks for your response smith,

I understand that diseases, could easily be transferred in an environment where birds are crowded, most poultry farms surfer this issues and they procure a method of handling issues. this has been considered as well. My concern is the size of the coop, should I increase thesize for the same number of birds?

Thanx.

4. Dragonid

Dragonid Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2012
    Currently you have less than one square foot per bird planned, so either the number of birds needs to be cut significantly, or the size of the building needs to grow significantly.

That number would be large enough for brooding, but anything close to a marketable size table bird is going to need somewhere around 2 square foot per bird, I would think. So for 3200 birds, if 35' is your limiting dimension it would be 182' long; if 80' is your limiting dimension it would be an 80' square.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by