Advise please, bully chicks!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4BoyMama, May 19, 2016.

1. 4BoyMama

4BoyMama Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Kansas
    Ok so I am new at this, we have 6 chickees that are one week old today, we brought home 2 new girls today who hatched yesterday. The ladies at the store said it would be OK to keep them all together but My 2 RIR and my very large brown Easter eager (who I'm starting to suspect might not be a pullet) have been chasing them and pecking them and not letting them eat or drink for the past few hours. Poor babies. So for now I separated the 3 bullies into a box for now, what do I do for a long term solution? I only have one brooding area. Do I just let them "fight" it out, they are so tiny!?!
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Put up a small fence for a few days between them, than after about 3-7 days try removing it to see how they get along.

3. 4BoyMama

4BoyMama Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Kansas
    ok so everybody is getting along now, no more picking on the babies. I had put the 3 "bullies" in a box in the brooder for a few hours and when I let them back out they were much better. Silly girls, I guess I know who is going to be at the top of the pecking order :)

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm glad it has settled down and actually takes less time than I though it would, being lonely obviously is motivation to behave better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by