Advise?

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I am picking up 26 meat chicks tomorrow, and I think I'm ready..... have the feeder and water jug, set up a tractor spacer (38 inches around) and heat lamp (temp reading about 80- 85) as brooder. I am using news paper as bedding to start. Am I missing anything? Any tips or advise you wish to share with this chicken virgin will be much appreciated.
Thanks

-UPDATED-

-bedding-
I used Ultra Soft Pine Shavings
wink.png
Right on top of the paper towels/newspaper.
(I prefer paper towels, much easier to clean and sometimes the newspaper get slippery)

-Feeding-
I put large marbles inside my water feeder, so they cannot drown in the water.

-------(Below) This is just my preference--------

-Handling-
1. For the first 3 days, touch them as little as possible. Let them get used to their new environment.
2. After 3 days have past, you can start playing with them, and holding them.
3. Finally, when they are 1 WEEK old, then you can play with them, let them get out, start to play. But very carefully!

-------(Above) This is just my preference--------

-Pasty Butt-
Pasty butts is when your chick either got too stressed from the shipping/transporting, is too hot/crowded, and/or does not have enough protein. Then their poo gets stuck to their bottom and creates a "pasty butt".

*What to do*
1. Move the heat lamp a little so they're not so hot. (JUST A LITTLE)
smile.png

2. Feed them some yogurt. (mix it into their feed)

If the poop gets really stuck, then you need to take it off.
sad.png

1. Take a damp wash cloth.
2. Rap it around it's bottom.
3. Wait until the poop gets softer.
4. Pull.
sad.png

-Cleaning-
What I first did, was that each time they'd poop, I'd get a plastic spoon and pick it up, and throw it away. It works for like a week, then you need to throw away all the shavings and start fresh. If you're JUST going to use newspaper then you are going to have to clean it out A LOT! So I suggest to not just use newspaper.

*Water*
I changed the water every hour. But, of course, you don't need to do that
wink.png
For most chicks, people clean out the water like once a week. But I think once a day would be good. Depends on how old they are. The older they get, the more they splash around.

*Feed*
You can change the feed about once every week. Just until they eat it all
wink.png

-Diet-
When they were little, I just used the normal feed. Once they started getting older (few weeks old) I started introducing new things, like cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal (if their poop is watery) Lettuce, corn, even cooked eggs!
big_smile.png

-Sharp Beaks?-
Then you can let them pick at sand, or even calcium granulates! (I feed them a pinch everyday so they could have strong egg shells!)

I spoiled my chicks by a mile, but they produced wonderful, healthy eggs, and were the best of friends!
thumbsup.gif

I hope you have fun caring for your chicks! Taking care of my chicks is my favorite thing to do. Have fun!
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow that is great thank you very much. I will but paper towels down that totally makes sense, marbles and yogurt...check, tying to tell my kids they can't play with the day olds...... well may-be I will wait a few days before I tell them they are here.
Thanks again

Quote:
I thought extra calcium was bad for chicks.

Extra calcium is bad for chicks if u r feeding it to them in huge amounts as grit. I don't think a pinch is going to do harm. Just my opinion!
wink.png

Quote:
I thought extra calcium was bad for chicks.

Extra calcium is bad for chicks if u r feeding it to them in huge amounts as grit. I don't think a pinch is going to do harm. Just my opinion!
wink.png

Probably not. But is feeding a chick calcium going to help with their egg shells when they won't be laying for another 4 or 5 months? I guess if it won't hurt...

Quote:
wink.png

Probably not. But is feeding a chick calcium going to help with their egg shells when they won't be laying for another 4 or 5 months? I guess if it won't hurt...

Good point. I didn't think of it that way. i guess if it was for baby ckicks it would b kind of pointless, but I guess a little isn't going to hurt them either?? LOL
idunno.gif

Just be careful. Meaties will eat and eat and eat and they will eat themselves to death. I swore i would never raised meats again but do duel purpose birds. Lol I would do like six hours feeding and then rotate. I had a few get so fat they didnt walk . They taste great , and since they are rather ugly the processing is easy. Also I myself would once they get a little older feed finisher. Out here they call it krackle. Makes the meat all meat and yummy like. I am feeding it to some extra males I have... Yummy

Back
Top Bottom