Ae you my mother?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moodlymoo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I was wondering what happens when you put duck eggs under a broody hen or the other way around? Does the duck try to teach your chicks to swim? How does the mama react to the babies?

Edited because I cant spell when I haven't had enough coffee

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Not sure what "dunk eggs" are, [​IMG] , but I expect the chicken will sit on them until they hatch. Depending of course how good a broody she is. I've read that folks have had chicken hens hatch Duck eggs. Not sure about the other way around.

Of course if you do use a hen for Ducks you want to make sure they don't get a medicated feed. You could just take them away and care for them yourself..

I wish you the best,

rancher

oh and if you do and things turn out well, you must post pics. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:Not sure what "dunk eggs" are, [​IMG] , but I expect the chicken will sit on them until they hatch. Depending of course how good a broody she is. I've read that folks have had chicken hens hatch Duck eggs. Not sure about the other way around.

Of course if you do use a hen for Ducks you want to make sure they don't get a medicated feed. You could just take them away and care for them yourself..

I wish you the best,

rancher

oh and if you do and things turn out well, you must post pics. [​IMG]

Didn't you know there is a new breed of bird called a dunk. Its what happens when your ducks find all those beer bottles sitting on the patio table after a bbq

4. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    I once bought a duckling at a feed store and slipped her under my broody silkie. I had no idea if it would work or not, but Buttercup accepted Darcy as her own baby (even though eventually, Darcy got bigger than Buttercup LOL) I had a kiddie pool that I would put Darcy in, but she would get upset if she couldn't see her "mama" so I would hold Buttercup up where she could see her. That would calm her down a little bit, but eventually, I eased Buttercup in the water and she just stood there patiently while her "baby" played in the water. I thought it was the cutest thing!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You at some point will end up with diaper wearing ducks in your house. I know where one of those ducks lives. So I know this is true. [​IMG]

6. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Hahaha, I dont think I would mind that. Do ducks HAVE to have water to swim in?

7. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I don't think they really have to, but they're happier in water

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    They do much better in water. Their legs are not really designed to handle that much pressure all the time...We see a few ducks that have developed arthritis at a young age because they didn't have acess to water often...but they seem to do okay...

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:[​IMG]

I just melted.

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

I just melted.

Me too! That is precious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by