Affection Display by Adult Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Aug 10, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free ranging front porch flock lead by an adult pair of American games exhibits what I interpret as affection. The will come to me for food as most chickens do but they will also allow to me to walk along within the flock (includes 13 weaned chicks) as they forage. If I stop for any length of time while within the flock they will begin preening or even lay down, often at my feet. That in itself is a bit odd.

What I interpret as affection is where they will sit next to me and make sounds very similar what contented chicks make although lower in pitch. Also when they walk next to me they rub their tail feathers against my legs. Birds doing this are full adult and parents of chicks.

Flock with rooster to right and hen (mother of 6 chicks) near middle.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens will come and sit with me, too. If I sit on the ground, they come sit on the ground and sometimes lay down and relax in the sun. Some of my birds like to jump on me and sit on my shoulder.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am surprized a full adult rooster does it, even while his hen and chicks are around. Seems like testosterone would prevent such a display, especially in fighting chickens.

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:my modern games love people

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:my modern games love people

Modern games are no longer bred to be game. From what I have seen they are delicate and timid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by