Affordable multi-purpose incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cottontail farm, Dec 26, 2014.

1. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Hello everyone! This is my first post [​IMG] I am looking to buy my first incubator and confused by all of the choices. Is there such a thing as an affordable, small incubator that can handle different sizes of eggs without having to purchase all sorts of add-ons? I want to be able to do quail (like 2 doz eggs) or duck eggs (maybe 6-8 eggs). Is there a product that will fit my needs straight out of the box? This would be occasional, small scale home use. Thank you!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It really does depend how much you want to spend on an incubator. Many people reccomend the Janoel incubators for a start out incubator. I personally would reccomend a Brinsea. I upgraded from a cheap Chinese incubator to a Brinsea and havnt looked back wouldn't swap it for anything. They are a little more expensive but worth it 100%. Here is the review section for incubators https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/egg-incubators
    Hope you find it usefull and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. Mike10

Mike10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014

Hey there my name is michael, I was u. The same position few hours ago. I did some research and the most affordable I found was the little giant 44.99 at tsc. I just bought either and will be playing with it to get the temperature right before putting eggs in. I read about that the problem with this is just getting the temp right. I hope others hop on here for I would like tips on this one and hope you find one.

4. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Yorkshire coop - thank you for the link! I'll get to reading.
    Michael- this is the one i was looking at too. I should have specified that I'm looking for one w an automatic turner. With the little giant it seemed like i would have to buy the incubator, the turner (which doesn't fit duck eggs) and the quail rails all separately which leaves me $120 in and still not able to do duck eggs [​IMG] is this your understanding? So confusing...

5. Mike10

Mike10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014

I see I'm sorry forgot you had duck eggs. I only have chicken eggs and I did not buy the turner I will be doing it by hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by