affordable plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stonykill, Feb 23, 2012.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    any recomendations? What do you use? How do you like it? How many birds to you do a year?

I can see myself slaughtering 15 to 50 birds this year. Depending on how many I incubate, and how many are roo's. Suggestions for a plucker?
    Thanks!

2. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    to clarify, chickens. Medium to large breeds.

3. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
    I just built a whizz-bang type plucker, do a you tube search to see several in action. I ordered the plucker fingers through ebay and scrounged a lot of the parts locally. I borrowed one last fall, I did 16 birds in one day by myself with it...the weekend before the max I could pluck and process by hand was 5....I have 30 X on order for spring and plan to do 30 more late summer/early fall, for that amount, worth building a plucker, you can also search chicken pluckers on ebay, there are several variations available

4. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    15-50 birds a year can be done easily with a drill mounted plucker. Tub pluckers run 500.00 or so, and the drill plucker we make is $39.95 plus $12.00 shipping. PM me your email address and I will send a PayPal and ship fast.
    Check more pics on my farm page.[​IMG]

5. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    thanks rwd. I can build anything I put my mind to on the cheap. After watching video's I think I'll be scrounging parts to build a tub plucker. I'll try it out then step up my production. Nice FB page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by