Affordable roofing suggestions

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
We are expanding our number of chickens this year so we built a much larger coop. About 8 x 12. We are doing in a frame roof using of course plywood but we were looking for an affordable roofing material to cover it with. We Used sheet metal on all the coops and shelters we’ve built but we ran out of the extra we had and were thinking about using something different. The sheet metal we had before was free from our neighbor so that’s why were used it but I believe going the route of shingles is too expensive. Any suggestions?

What is "Too Expensive?"

It looks like you'd be in it for $100 in shingles from Home Depot.

The Corrugated Tin roofs at Home Depot were $20 or so for the 2x12 foot sections. Corrugated plastic is a little cheaper still.

I used a bunch of broke down pallets to make my own wood shake roof...But its 1/2 the size of your coop.

I’m picturing the roof he made in that sounds really awesome. Unfortunately to make anything with the way the weather has been here we’re now on a time restraint to get this done. We don’t know the first thing about shingles and $100 wouldn’t of been bad if the goats didn’t just recently break down the fence and we had to replace it. We may go the corrugated sheet metal route again It sounds like it may be the cheapest. I’ve seen barn roofing. It’s corrugated and it looks rubber but I was too short at Lowe’s to see the price. We did use pallets for the coop but they’re all on the floor. Aren’t pallets wonderful. We’ve got flashing to cover the joints between the pieces of plywood so we’re not too worried about anything leaking

I’m picturing the roof he made in that sounds really awesome. Unfortunately to make anything with the way the weather has been here we’re now on a time restraint to get this done. We don’t know the first thing about shingles and $100 wouldn’t of been bad if the goats didn’t just recently break down the fence and we had to replace it. We may go the corrugated sheet metal route again It sounds like it may be the cheapest. I’ve seen barn roofing. It’s corrugated and it looks rubber but I was too short at Lowe’s to see the price. We did use pallets for the coop but they’re all on the floor. Aren’t pallets wonderful. We’ve got flashing to cover the joints between the pieces of plywood so we’re not too worried about anything leaking
Honestly it didn't take long at all. Maybe a few hours tops.

It probably took longest to break the slats off the pallets.

From there, I laid piece of wood a little longer than the coop, and a few at 90 degrees like an upside down "E", and layered them. It looked really good the first time. Then I flipped the coop upside down and while it was strong, it wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the entire coop.

How well we definitely can’t flip hours upside down. There’s 4 x 4 post in the ground at each corner. And being that the coop is 8 x 12 with the walls being 6 to 7 feet high and I’m only 100 pounds that would probably be funny to watch me try to do though. Do the wooden slats hold moisture? I guess that would depend on the pallets you use Huh? We are definitely no Carpender’s but that sounds like something we might be able to pull off If we have the time. It’s 70° right now where I live but it’s going to be snowing this weekend when I have the time off to finish it. Crazy Virginia weather

How well we definitely can’t flip hours upside down. There’s 4 x 4 post in the ground at each corner. And being that the coop is 8 x 12 with the walls being 6 to 7 feet high and I’m only 100 pounds that would probably be funny to watch me try to do though. Do the wooden slats hold moisture? I guess that would depend on the pallets you use Huh? We are definitely no Carpender’s but that sounds like something we might be able to pull off If we have the time. It’s 70° right now where I live but it’s going to be snowing this weekend when I have the time off to finish it. Crazy Virginia weather
I've only had it for a little while but I did hit it with deck stain I had sitting around. Could just as easily use an outdoor paint, I would imagine. Or nothing. Honestly, it was easy enough putting together, then mounting on top that if I have to replace it in a year it isn't more than an afternoon's worth of work (minus the pallet gathering.)

I’m actually a construction inspector so I get free pallets easily and often as I need. I am frequently stopping by scrap pile‘s before I leave work. We love repurposing But this is the first large structure we’ve built. Everything else was 8 x 8 or less.Getting the pallets definitely problem it would be replacing the roof in a year. I am less than 5 foot tall and the coop is 6 foot tall and the back of it is on a slope so it is raise an extra one and a half feet. It would be a little trickier for me. But I kind of like the thought of the cost efficiency and picturing in my head I bet you it looks really cool. We are painting the inside and outside to maintain the wood. So maybe if I stain or paint the panels do you think they would last for a couple of years? My fear is if they aren’t stained or painted they will stay moist longer and Decay the plywood underneath faster Maybe I am thinking too much into this. But I love the idea. I’m trying to avoid having to do repairs to quickly because we have a pig shelter and a goat shelter and a smaller coop to keep Repairs up on. But I guess if I stained or painted the slats you think I would be good for a couple years? Like I said I love this idea

It is a bit of a problem hauling the Pallets back to my house. A 1997 Ford Ranger on it’s last leg doesn’t hold too many but I can make it happen. Was wondering if you could send me a picture of the roof on yours to get an idea of the idea. I have become totally intrigued by that idea

So maybe if I stain or paint the panels do you think they would last for a couple of years? My fear is if they aren’t stained or painted they will stay moist longer and Decay the plywood underneath faster
Ummmm....underlayment...'tar paper'.
Or just go for the metal roofing.....then you're done for years.

Back
Top Bottom