Affy my 4 y/o we are off to the vet again on 12-4-12

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinsRus, Dec 3, 2012.

1. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Hello,

We have 4 Pekins. Affy was dropped by my son this past spring 2012. he is a VERY strong & my son age 12 drop him while Affy was spreading out his wings. He limps on the L leg at times & still can run & It seemed to heal , but this October he was limping worse. I took him to the vet & he was given an antibiotic. Impossible to get him to take!! I crushed it & mashed worms, & etc. & ..., I drove back to the vet for an injectable antibiotic. This seemed to get him back to his permanent-usual limp. But for a week his limp is the worst so far. He continues to eat, drink, preen, swim, and run. But he sits more. We are going to our Vet. tomorrow @ 9AM, but I was wondering what your opinions were that could be happening with Affy.

ThankYou for reading, opinions, & advice
    Char

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

If it happened after he was dropped- he could have seriously injured his leg. I am curious why the vet administered antibiotics though. Was there a sign of infection of some kind? If you can afford it- I would ask for an xray. That might tell you a little more about what's going on inside Affy's leg. I hope you get some answers. Keep us updated ok? <3

3. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Dx. arthritis,trauma,ligament trauma. Tx with chloramphenicol 250 mg 3x/day for 1 wk. off 1 wk. then Tx again with the chloramphenicol & call with update.
    Affy had 1 dose at the vet & he already seemed more skippy & less limply. I am giving the pill whole! It went super smooth at the vet! Not so smooth at home, but we got it in. After I pick my son up at basketball we will give his 3 rd dose tonight. I need his help, so we will do this in early AM before school tomorrow. I pray it gets easier! Thank you for your reply!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    will Affy eat slice cheese? you might try him on some and if he likes it you might be able to smash the pill in the cheese and get him to take it that way, or a grape cut in half with the pill stuck down inside.

5. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Good one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by