Aflatoxin/mycotoxin poisoning week old chick help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hotmessJess, Apr 13, 2016.

1. hotmessJess

hotmessJess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    So I was standing next to my brooder when I noticed my week old chick (just the one) was upside down, seizing. I moved the others away from her until she was done. She went and rested and then seemed normal, just a little slow.

In moving the chicks, I tipped the water, so I went to refill it and grabbed the food, too. When I emptied what was left in the food container bottom, I noticed up in the crease there was a fuzzy, white chunk of moldy food. My son has filled the feeder for the last three days (and is not very observant), so given the inconspicuous spot of the mold, it could have been there for days.

I'm assuming this is what's wrong with my chick. Her stool seems normal, bedding is clean/dry, food and water clean. Is there anything I can do to improve her chances?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Just clean everything very well and try to impress upon your son the importance of thoroughness! :)

Hopefully, this is an isolated incident and getting the fuzziness out of there will solve the issue.

If not, it's possible your chick could have a neurological disease or have been injured somehow with a fall or pecking.

Just things to consider! Sorry your chick had a seizure. I hope that was the only one!

MrsB

3. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    Thanks MrsB! I hope so too! I feel bad because my son feels awful. He informed me that he cleaned the bottom of the feeder two days ago with soap and water because of stuck on poop, so it's probably because he didn't dry it well. So it happened due to his good intentions, at least.

I have doubts that it was from pecking, as she's the biggest and currently in charge. I don't think she's fallen from any height, either.

I'm frightened that it could be marek's or something like that, so as bad as it sounds, I hope it was the mold!

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Definitely keep us posted!

MrsB

5. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    Will do!

6. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    I completely forgot to update this, but I'm happy to report that, as far as I can tell, the seizure was a one time thing. Cricket is a healthy, happy 3 month old rooster!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I just love a happy ending!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by