Afraid I have all roos (lots of pics - new pics post13)

pearlinoyster8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
My little flock of eight chicks (three of them bantys) were purchased on May 10. At that time, they were various ages, some days old, some a few weeks old. Now, they range from a few weeks old to 6+ weeks. I know it might be too early to tell but every time I read a roo or pullet thread I go and check my little flock and am worried that all 8 could be boys!

Please check out my pics and tell me what you think ... even if it's just reassurance that it is too early to tell?

Pepper today (around 6 weeks old, breed???)
pepper5.JPG
Pepper2.JPG
pepper4.JPG
Pepper.JPG

Pic of Pepper on 5-10-2011 to help verify age
5708099219_f716102a74.jpg

Blue (down) & Jujube (up) -- both about 6 weeks old, breed???)
Blue%252520and%252520Jujube.JPG

Blue
blue3.JPG

Jujube
Jujube2.JPG
Jujube3.JPG

Pompom (looks like could be a Golden Comet? About 3 weeks old)
pompom.JPG

Red (could be a Rhode Island Red or Production Red? About 3 weeks old)
Red2.JPG
Red.JPG

Salt (bantam, 7 weeks?)
Salt4.JPG

Rusty (left) and Salt (right)
Rusty%252520and%252520Salt.JPG

Rusty (bantam, 5 weeks?)
Rusty.JPG

L'il Jo (bantam, 5 weeks?)
LilJo.JPG

Last edited:
That would be wonderful!

I posted pics last week and someone thought maybe Pepper had a boyish stance ... then I started thinking they all stand like that sometimes!

Pepper and Salt are always having little confrontations too, this funny "you talking to me" dance in each other's faces.

I'm wondering about Jujube too based on behavior ... that's the bravest chick. The others run away when I lift the grate over their watermelon box brooder, but Jujube goes on alert and moves between the rest of the flock and me.

I'd put money on salt, and possibly Rusty and Pompom as well, but may be a little early to tell on those, and breed certainty would help. Salt though...is a roo

ETA: OOPS, not Rusty, I was looking at Salt again
lol.png

Last edited:
Just curious, why do you think Pompom might be a boy? The little 3-week-old possible Golden Comet?

The only one that might be a ROO is salt....but when you take pictures, make sure you turn off your read heat lamp....makes it hard to tell
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom