Afraid I may be dealing with resp. issues

OR4-hmom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Grants Pass, OR
When feeding yesterday afternoon I found the Mookie hen huddled at the side of the pen. Her head was down on her breast and her tail would dip with each breath. She was gone when I went out a 6am to check on her.

Her mate is now acting like he is having breathing issues. The feathers on his neck are puffed out and he seems to be bobbing with each breath.

I picked up Duramycin-10 and Oxytetracycline. I've never had illness issues and feeling terrible for them.

Any suggestions?

I give probios probiotics, poultry vitamins,n vet rx. Song birds bring in as nest close each year n unavoidable. Rodents getting in by n pigeons eat droppings, causing sickness that sets off respiratory issues birds already have, as well as stresses from normal stuff. I hear bugs can cause major probs too, but all my bird species eat bugs n never ever had birds not sickly already rescues, get sick before moved here, where told probably bad soil of old coops from old tenant/landlord. Lime for gardening in told top soiling n letting evenly soak in, will kill problems in soil. Any bird that's taken off property is healthy as can be.

Last edited:
Nuts, the old cock is still bobbing slightly when he breathes. Unlike the hen I lost his is only a slight lowering of his head. No worsening or spread to other birds. He is on Oxytetracyclin and Rooster Booster (vitamins).

It is possible that rodents have gotten in but all my pens have solid roofs and 1x1 welded wire so wild birds are out of luck.

They had eggs and after the hen died he moved off them. I moved them under a pair of ladies and 1 hatched yesterday. Not sure if the other is still going but visually it appeared dark inside with no odor. I didn't want to take it away to candle it, foster moms are a grouchy pair and this is their first hatchling.

Good to know one at least Lil life saved in this ordeal. I just put down two last flights, female was five or six n went suddenly to bones,n male was this years young not as bad, both n a young pair had limited exposure to coop poop etc whatever causing from one old coop.

I always put garlic in water, at least for 3 days, in spaces of 2 weeks, it prevents a lot of problems, as in my country its difficult to find pigeon drugs, when its bad I give them amoxicillin, for people. I rub the garlic in sand paper, and then add it to the drinking water, it helps.

@jackdias,
Do you just use one clove per day and change daily? I tried garlic and rotted in day or so n made my pigeons sick. So guessing I did it wrong somehow. Some use cap full of bleach per gallon of drinking water but I've never tried with racers yet.

My pigeons drinks 3.5 Gallons a day, i put 3 cloves, total 8 grams, i chance every day for about 3 days. If there's someone with better information, please do share. I put sea shell sand everyday.

Back
Top Bottom