afraid I'm losing a Dominique chick 9 days old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiplingchick, May 3, 2011.

1. kiplingchick

kiplingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Central NC
    I shared an order of chicks from McMurray. (my very first chicks ever!) They arrived a week ago Monday, all alive and active. Of the 13 chicks I kept, one Dominique chick seems to be struggling. She is quite a bit smaller than the others, although she was the smallest to begin with. From what I've already searched I'm guessing impacted crop. She is very sleepy and has a lump on the right side of her chest. When she is awakened she will eat and drink, flap wings, and return to her favorite corner to sleep. Twice tonight I've given her drops of vegetable oil and massaged her lump. I *think* I feel it start to get gritty. Then she does a good poop and goes back to sleep.

I'm feeding Manna Pro Medicated chick starter. I added Sav-A-Chick vitamins to their water the first 4 days, and got more today. Only "treat" so far was a little hard boiled egg yolk last night. Their bedding is Aspen shavings from TSC. All the other chicks seem to be thriving. I had prepared myself for losses the first day or so, but after a full week I was hoping we were out of the woods. [​IMG]

Do I keep doing what I'm doing? Anything else I should try?

TIA!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like you are doing everything I would.

Good luck with your chick.

Imp

3. kiplingchick

kiplingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Central NC
    Thank you! Checked on her just now. She made it through the night, and her crop is significantly less pronounced. I really hope she makes it. Initially, she was the spunkiest of all the chicks, and even needed a "time out" for pecking the eyes of other chicks. She is also the only one to have escaped from the brooder. (discovered and replaced quickly, due to her LOUD peeping!)

This forum has been a wealth of info. Thanks to all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by