Afraid my turkey hen was sprayed with Roundup

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sarahbeth006, Jun 7, 2019.

1. sarahbeth006

sarahbeth006 In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    Last month we had a broody turkey hen disappear on us, and we found a pile of feathers so we thought she was dead. Four days ago, she showed up for breakfast alone, looking bedraggled (as expected). I penned her up because I wanted to make sure she had access to food and water. As far as I can tell, she hasn't eaten, she's holding her head low on her shoulders, and she paces all day. She does call when I'm out, but no matter what I put in for her to eat, she ignores it.

Today I noticed that the tree line where I suspect she was setting is starting to turn a suspicious shade of orange. The state road crews came through a few days ago for "maintenance" meaning they mowed down our daylilies and apparently sprayed the treeline with something. If she was in there, she probably got doused. Anything I can do to help her or should we just put her down?

2. karenerwin

karenerwin Crowing

Jun 11, 2013
    Cedar Hill, Missouri
    Oh my gosh! How awful. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. But I will be following to see what the outcome is.

3. Gosy White Wings

Gosy White Wings In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2019
    The first thing that I would do is rinse her off very well. If there's still pesticide on her feathers, she could continue to consume it if she preens.
    I'm not really sure what to do besides that, but if you're not sure if she got sprayed, I'd continue to observe her and note down any other symptoms.

4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    :th I hope she pulls through with good supportive care. Good luck, and keep us posted. We care!

5. karenerwin

karenerwin Crowing

Jun 11, 2013
    Cedar Hill, Missouri
    How is your turkey doing today? You could also call the D.O.T and ask them what they use to spray the weeds,then you would at least know what she probably got sprayed with.

Aunt Angus and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  6. sarahbeth006

sarahbeth006 In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    Update: My husband let her out of the pen and she walked three feet and started chowing down on grass - I guess the grass in her pen was not acceptable. She has since bounced back just fine. Our sprayed daylilies are slower to recover. My mom caught the state road guys out one day and they said they didn't know that anything was sprayed. Sure.

R2elk and karenerwin like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: