Afraid of the outdoors and water???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ridgefire, May 13, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have 3 week old Rouens that I moved to the barn last week, I have kept them confined to get used to their duck house. Well the last two days I have been going out and opening the pop door to their run and pond. They wont go outside. I leave it open all day hoping they will go out on their own, then I chase them out and as soon as I leave the house they run right back in. I try to get them to go in their pond and they freak out. Plus they have 3 chicks that were bought with them and raised with them that I cant get them to separate. I tried putting the chicks in with the big girls and they would run back to the ducks and just keep chirping till I let them back with the ducks.

2. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I wish I could help. I can only sympathize. While my 9 week old ducks love to be outside, and adore their kiddie pool...they will not venture into our 1 acre pond.

Today we got our Rouen Mallie to take a few minute forced swim at the bank...

Best of luck they will come around.

Laney

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Ducks should be the symbol of the right wing! They really don't like change. They know their house and know it is safe, why risk going outside? Normally their mother would have taken them to water in the first week of life and they would have to choose to stay with her in the water or be left alone. I don't know what to tell you either except give them time. Sooner or later one brave soul will learn to trust the outside and they will all follow, the same is true of the water.

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    They think theyre chickens... lol.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    We bought an EE with some ducks also. They are inseperable. I have 50+ chickens and she doesn't hang with her own kind. My Mother calls her "TOD" (The Other Duck) When putting up for the night she will roost as close as possible to the ducks. As for the ducks being scared,,,, give them some time to adjust. Put the food and water out and watch to make sure that they do get out to eat and drink though. Good luck.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I say let the chicks stay with the ducks if it makes everyone happy.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I throw my duck out into the pond... she runs out of the water screaming and running back to me. She no likey the big scarey pond. She's swim in a bucket though?! I have no idea what causes this....

[​IMG]

8. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    That's funny because I can't get mine to go IN their house!

I would also say put their food and water outside. It's the only way I get mine to go IN is to put food and water inside. So, go backwards!

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    ridgefire-----are the duckies getting brave yet??[​IMG] When the days get hotter, maybe they will get in the water.

10. Kats

Kats Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I'd leave them alone.

I just put week-old Muscovies in the barn with chicks and keets and they wouldn't go outside for the first day. Now (2 days later) they whistle out and up the hill as soon as the door is opened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by