Afraid of Tieing horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Celtic Hill, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    How do you spell Tieing? I couldn't figure it out... lol.

Okay, So. My First horse was PERFECT accept he didn't like to be Tied, he would set back until his halter/tie broke. After dealing with him I am very very very 'jumpy' (quick to pull the release knot) around any horse. I don't know why I just get scared, and I don't want to be. I just don't know what to do now, I have to learn to be comfortable around tied horses but I just get so nervous.

Any help? -Ian

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have a similar fear after my 25 year old gelding slip and fell while he was tied. I was near the house so I had to run inside and get a knife and cut him lose. I am not sure how to overcome your fear except face and practice tying everyday.Also start with a horse that is bomb proof if you can.

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Run a big truck tire innertube around your snubbing post. Make sure it is secure at a safe height. Make sure you have a good halter and braided in snap on your lead. Then tie your horse to the inner tube. Horse pulls back, innertube pulls horse back to post. Post and tube win after a while. I have never hurt a horse or myself using this method.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My uncle used to tie young horses that way, it worked.

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    you can also tie the horse high up (say 6 feet high tie a rope solid with a heavy duty ring to tie to), harder to pull when they cant keep their head down....oh, and its tying I believe...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

they have these new tie rings that clip to trailers, stalls etc... about $20 bucks. If your horse pulls back it allows the lead to be pulled through, at different pressures pending how you loop it, allowing the horse to not panic while still being tied. It is a training tool and helps train horses not to pull.

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Its not the horse, Its me. [​IMG]

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Well its still a good idea to try one of those methods.. good ideas all.. and they migt give you the extra reassurance you need.... Another thing I was taught by a trainer is, the special knot.. I suppose you would call it a knot, allthough its anything but... Quick release... it leaves a long length of rope dangling and you can just come along and give it a little tug to release the whole thing. Its great for a panicked horse because you dont need to do anything but tug on it. You can probably look up instructions for it online or have a horse person near you show you how to do it.
    If you are still feeling upset in yourself with things like tying and riding... perhaps you should take some refresher lessons at a stable, and that might help you get back in the swing of things? Having someone around to correct you and support you?

9. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    chickenzoo, I totally forgot I had 'The Clip!!' Although my horse dosen't need it it will give me some assurance.

Squishy, I could do a quick release knot with my eyes closed. (probally because i untie it like a million times every time i ride, lol) But have you ever had a horse panic on you when it's tied like that? eek, dosn't release so quick! (I know it's not how i tie it)

There is nothing scarier then watching a horse set back and freak out

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I just leave them to freak out. I've never had a horse badly injured. Maybe a scraped hock or something which just encourages them not to do it again. So long as they are wearing a regular halter if they fall down they aren't going to choke themselves quickly. It will take a long time so I usually just wander over and pull the release knot. Then we often hold the horse down and rub them all over not letting them up until they are relaxed and submissive. Then they get tied back up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by