1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Afraid of water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jpg1961, May 14, 2016.

1. Jpg1961

Jpg1961 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    NE Pennsilvania
    My ducks went into the creek last week and they panicked they finally got out and now they go absolutely crazy if they even see there pool take off threw the woods and hide in the field by the creek. Ducks afraid of water now what?[​IMG]
    This is all they will go in now

2. Geronimo Creek

Geronimo Creek Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Our ducks were hesitant about going into the pond and creek at first. I am not a duck whisperer by any means, but I do know that all of the ducks we have had really have a strong bond with the coop they go into at night.

It took about 3 days of us walking behind them to steer them toward the creek before they started going down there every day. Now, they go down to the creek every morning and come back in the evening. It just took some time We do have one Pekin female that would rather go with the chickens in the yard and doesn't like the water.

Now that we have new ducks, their rhythm has been interrupted and we had to start the whole process over again.

3. Jpg1961

Jpg1961 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    NE Pennsilvania
    I guess time will tell

4. Geronimo Creek

Geronimo Creek Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Just stick with it and kind of push them to the water. If they get out and leave thats fine too, but just keep at it every day for as long as it takes..

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think something happened that made them feel unsafe. It will take time for them to adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by