afraid shes a rooster!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickencrazy21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    today we were up putting tarps up in the chicken pen because the tree there under is loosing its leafs. and its going to rain soon. i witnessed one of the hens mount another have "do it" (dont know the correct term lol) with another. it worried me i know its what roosters do because one drunk night after getting chickens me and my best friend googled it because it popped into our head as to how it happens. anyways i was wondering since theres not a rooster in the pack that we know of *crosses fingers* will the hens sometimes act like roosters? we got her from the pound in norco and they said she was female shes slowly grown up and become nice and fat. i took two pictures of her her names cruella devil. i will cry if shes a rooster weve already had to get rid of one chicken because it was a rooster and we suspect another barred rock we got is a rooster but until we hear crowing no one is going anywhere. she hasnt crowed yet. let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the smaller chicken is snow white shes the one cruella devil mounted.

2. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    no this i definatley a roo no chance it is not

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a rooster

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a light brahma rooster. Brahmas are slower to mature so it may not have been as evident he is a he.

It's called mating when chickens breed, same as any other animal.

5. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    ugh nooooo!!!! i dont want her to be a rooster. shes perfect and sweet and good with my nephews. this sucks! im ****** at the animal shelter now. they said she was female!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by