Afraid to leave home again

cheraboo

Songster
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Michigan
My youngest son Jacob and I are the main chicken fans at our house. DH could care less. When Jacob and I left for a 4H event back in June and left DH in charge of bird care, we came home to four dead ducklings
sad.png

We went to the poultry show in Frankenmuth yesterday. No babies - our youngest birds are our two banty buff brahmas (Twinkie and Ding Dong) that are just over two months old - so I figured he and our two older sons could handle things. We had a great time at the poultry show. Came home with a pair of dutch blues and 4 frizzles ... like we need more birds ... hehe... we just couldn't help ourselves. Anyway, on our way home I get a text from my DH saying one of our banties died. Nevermind that with the exception of the three ducks we have all of the birds are banties!!

I had Rachel call him to find out more info. We have a pair of Salmon Favorelles in the house and everyone else is outside. All he could tell us is that it was one of the outside birds. Oh, and he left it outside of the coop so Jacob could bury it. How pathetic is that?! It occurred to me that leaving a dead bird out in the yard was probably not a very bright thing to do when there is a dog around. Our dog doesn't bother the live birds at al but I was guessing it would be a different story with a dead one.

We finally make it home at 10p and rush into the house to find a flashlight so we can find out who we lost. Big surprise that there was no bird to be found outside of the coop. I heard the sweet chirping of the brahma and we opened the coop to find out who was missing. All of the older birds were on the roost and in the nesting box was little Ding Dong chirping her heart out. We moved her into the house where we can keep an eye on the poor little thing and give her lots of extra loving. I have not idea how Twinkie died and of course DH is no help at all in that area. Jacob and are are going to try to find another little buff brahma to keep Ding Dong company as she is smaller than the other birds and they pick at her sometimes
sad.png

I am supposed to go to a 4H leaders workshop next weekend and Jacob is supposed to go stay the weekend with my brother and his family. After what's happened the past two times we were both gone I am really worried about leaving DH in charge of bird care again. I wish he cared a little bit more ....

He's really not a bad guy ... just doesn't enjoy the chickens like I do and he doesn't understand. My brother isn't too far away. I think I'll see if he can't drop in on them next weekend.

Quote:
Well, it's four dead ducklings and a dead chicken....so far. But more importantly, it's the not caring that bothers me. If you love your spouse and your kids, you should love what they love-- or at least, respect it enough not to ruin it through neglect. "Please take care of the birds while I'm away for a couple of days" is a pretty basic thing to ask, assuming they aren't all infected with some terrible disease or some other medical crisis strikes.

Yes. It may seem a minor thing in the grand scheme of things but it shows a general lack of consideration for your feelings and efforts that is disturbing. Not to say that he isn't just like a lot of other husbands out there....just not one I would want to expend any effort upon.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom