Afraid to let my girls free range- and that was our plan from the beginning!

EKlinds

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
New Hampshire
Ok- so as title states- I’ve turned into a big baby. We have a very small flock of only 4, our buff orp just starting laying and our other 3 aren’t too far behind. We were planning from the very beginning to let them free range on our property and just have them in the barn with large attached run with roof until they knew it was “home” well. I’ve become super attached to them and now I’m afraid to let them free! We have a ton of hawks that I often see from my windows and it makes me so nervous. I thought I’d be stronger lmao because my mindset at the beginning was “we will probably lose one or two which is normal for free range chickens no biggie” but nope not anymore :oops:

Not uncommon. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk.

Recommend you not hatch your own birds, and you not significantly grow your flock. If you become so readily attached, and the possibility of predator loss affects you so, you likely do not want to plumb your depths to determine if you have it within you to cull - and sometimes, culling is the kindest thing you can do.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse." - Robert A. Heinlein

Same is true of poultry.

With what you have discovered of yourself, better you should avoid situations you might find to be of greater challenge. No disrespect, we are all wired differently, with different needs, and different value placed upon our birds. Takes all kinds.

Mine free range.

Well trust me I felt the same way with our hens, but sister it will be fine! They will know to keep watch for Hawks we have them a lot too and are right next to a big open field so something could easily swoop in and get them. I also have lots of eyes out there to watch for them (52 to be exact) so if there is anything they all alert one another. I have a goose out there as well which will honk if there is anything. She is very sweet to humans but protects her ducks well. Consider getting one! Though geese have a bad reputation for being dangerous and such, they're not their hand raised my goose is very sweet. If there's ever a thunderstorm she corrales all her little ducks into the coop to keep them safe from the thunder. If there's a squirrel in the yard or anything she goes and checks it out to make sure that it's not dangerous. She's absolutely terrified of big dogs and we'll hiss to protect the ducks and the chickens. She helps me stay calm and know that if anything would get in the coop, she would probably kill it.

I promise your chickens will be just fine! Those things do happen, but I have never lost a chicken from a hawk though we have at least 10 that probably fly over every day. They should be just fine 🙂

Thank you for your responses! I will end up just sucking it up eventually and let them out- although I will probably start with an hour or two at a time for a couple days to ease into it. I might look into a goose too! Although I’m sure my husband will tell me I’m nuts haha. I know they will be a lot happier being out free. If any grave injuries occur I would never want them to suffer so I definitely would be sad but I know culling would be the right thing to do if I had to

You should consider getting a rooster if your planning to free range. The rooster serves an important function in the flock, he looks out for danger, calls out to let the flock and myself know of potential dangers and sometimes defend the flock with his own life.

Just extra protection for the hens from danger.

I strongly disagree that your small flock will be "just fine" out free-ranging. Especially without a rooster, lgd, etc. to help watch over them, winter coming soon and no tree canopies to help hide them, & wild prey growing increasingly scarce. Your flock MAY get lucky and be just fine, i.e. undiscovered. Sometimes people go years before experiencing their first predator attack; sometimes it can happen the very first day/night. You may be aware of the countless never-ending threads on this forum from heartbroken people who have lost flock members and sometimes their entire flocks to savvy predators.

I have 3 large flocks that range daily through woods and pastures. Losses have been relatively few due to guardian dogs that protect during the day, & fort knox coops at night. But despite mine and dog's best defenses, hawks, roaming dogs and fox have ocassionally been sucessful, always during the daytime while flocks were ranging free. Ive never lost my favorites which would leave me heartbroken, but All losses left me sad.

Its up to you to decide how much risk you are willing to take. Ive made Immediate adjustments after past sucessful predator attacks, including more fencing, more guard dogs, & locking hens up for several weeks until the lgds Finally suceeded in removing the evasive sly fox. My flocks still free-range daily, but i am fully aware of the daily risks. If you decide to let your girls happily roam free (& they will be happy!), just be willing to accept the consequences if they are "discovered." Wishing you the best.

I don't free range. I had a decently large run for my 4 birds, nearly 90 sf. I wanted 3 more chickens, so I added on to my coop and my run. I'm at about 21 sf/chicken, and won't be getting more than another 3 birds, which would make it 15 sf each, still a decent amount.

I've thought about free ranging, and decided against it. Even though I have a rooster, there are a lot of raccoons, hawks, eagles, skunks, possums, and possibly coyotes in my area.

Would my birds be happier? Probably. Do they know that? Nope.

Would I be constantly worrying about them? Probably. Do I know that? Yup.

@Sally PB , you are so very right that chickens dont miss being out until After they are let out to roam free. I rarely let pullets out of their secure pens before they have reached point of lay, and/or until their first winter has passed. (No bugs, weeds etc to eat anyway). The thought never crosses their minds to want to leave their sanctuaries. But try keeping them contently penned after they have tasted freedom. Oh the pacing, whining, squawking and carrying on. They demand to be let out of jail Immediately! 😄

@Sally PB , you are so very right that chickens dont miss being out until After they are let out to roam free. I rarely let pullets out of their secure pens before they have reached point of lay, and/or until their first winter has passed. (No bugs, weeds etc to eat anyway). The thought never crosses their minds to want to leave their sanctuaries. But try keeping them contently penned after they have tasted freedom. Oh the pacing, whining, squawking and carrying on. They demand to be let out of jail Immediately! 😄
LOL... So true.

Back
Top Bottom