1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Afraid to lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Today is day 18, but I'm scared to lockdown. I had a homemade bator for my first set and I had a temp spike, I'm pretty sure they're gone but I'm letting them sit another day or so.

So I went out and bought another LG. I can't seem to get the temp right. First its hovering around 103, so I adjust it slightly. Then it plummets to 97. really don't want to lose this set too. there's only 5 but they looked good when I candled earlier today. Would it be ok to wait till tomorrow morning (morning of day 19) to lockdown? I'm thinking it might settle itself down over night.

They are in the original LG with turner right now. They're in with my Christmas hatch, and the new years ducky so i have to move them out for lockdown. [​IMG]
    Help!

2. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I think it would be better to put them in there a bit later than to risk a big temp spike. People have had chicks hatch in auto turners before! I wouldn't put them in til you get the temp regulated. Good luck!

3. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    That's what I was hoping. I have to be up at 6:30 so as long as the temp is in the acceptable range I'll put them in then. At least the humidity is holding steady at 74.

4. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I'm so glad I waited till morning! I checked the min/max on my temp gauge this morning and it had spiked to 103.1 overnight. Hopefully its stable now, I'll be checking every hour all day! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by