Afraid to put young pullets with established hens? *sigh*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I have two chickens, about 15-16 weeks old, that are getting big and are probably ready to join the flock.
    I have 17 hens who have been together since BEFORE I got them. lol
    And, one rooster is in with them.. I wasn't around when he was introduced,
    but was told he was surrounded by pecking hens and terrified, when introduced to the flock!

Is it a good idea to let the young ones join the flock now, if not, at what age?
    Any tips/advice?

Thanks in advance!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are old enough to throw in with the wolves. With ample space to hide they will spend a week or two, or three., fighting and figuring out their pecking order.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Man .. I had two pullets that the hens would TOLERATE when they were free-ranging .. but if I tried to put them in the run or coop together, they tried to KILL them..

Only have one of those pullets now and she lives in a cage inside the run unless I'm free-ranging ..

DH says he doesn't know why OUR chickens are so VICIOUS ... [​IMG]

I said "They're chickens"

"Ever heard of a PECKING order??"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I introduce my hens when they are just a bit smaller than the older hens. usually near dark. My coop has a pen inside, so they can see each other for a while before I let them lose. They will peck, I take a big plastic rake and kinda push them apart. I don't hit them just let them know it's ok. If they are smaller than the older girls they aren't such a treat. But a rooster! I had my girls near about kill him....he had a split comb the rest of his life... but he lived a long time.[​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    When I do new introductions, the first rule is, that the newbies have to be adult sized. Then, I will put them in an area in the coop where they can all see eachother, but not touch eachother for a few weeks. And I let them all free range together during this time. Then, after I can tell they're getting used to eachother, I put them all together.

It can get rough. Your best bet is to turn on your heal and don't look at them for at least an hour! After a while, things will settle down and everything will be OK.

It is hard to watch the pecking order being established.....but it's natural for chickens......I do keep my eye out for any really super rough behavior.....

Good luck-- it is possible!

Sharon

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Ditto. I watch and listen from the house. It's usually really smooth, but it can get ugly! Don't be alarmed by the shrieking sounds. If there's no blood being drawn, ignore it.

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I`m going to try it this weekend,I have two faverolles and two buff orpingtons same age aout three months,they get to see each other all the time as there coop and run are right beside each other.I have done it before and there is a lot of screaming.If it is to bad I will just take them out and try later.

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
  9. Treegod

Treegod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Catalonia, Spain
    I've successfully introduced pullets many times without problems. When I get them I keep them in a box/cage/wherever is convenient until the first night, then I put them on the perches with the others. Seems to work very well. The new ones might spend a little time being a bit "detached" from the others, sometimes sitting on the perch for a while away from the others, but they tend to accept them and eventually everyone gets integrated.

I won't say it's full proof, it can depend on the flock itself. I think I have fairly "peaceful" birds, they've left the month old chicks alone since I introduced them with their mother.

10. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I have one single Bared rock and the rest Wyandottes. The Bared rock was always picked on, singled out. Not violently ..just being chased away from food or treats...
    Is this normal? All are hens. no roosters.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by