Afraid to take them out for a walk!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ChickenCrazed, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I am sooooo loving my two baby Pilgrim geese....They are about 2 weeks old and growing like little weeds!...They love to talk to me and sit on my chest and cuddle...They seem to be so fast to bond!

I took them out in an enclosed area to see if they would follow me and come when I called to them and they did...Is it safe to take them out in the open field with me?...I am so afraid I will not be able to catch them and get them back inside....I would hate to see them end up in the pond!...Help I am a new goose mommy and don't want to put them in danger!

2. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Congratulations on your little ones!!!
    [​IMG]
    I'd love to see some pictures.
    I dont think you have to worry about them straying to far from you but I'd be worried about them being near open water at only two weeks.
    I'd give it another few weeks until they're feathered before venturing near an open pond.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    If they can see you I'm positive they'll follow you. I've never had goslings that didn't follow me, especially in new places. But at two weeks they're sometimes too small to see you when you're standing up. Remember to bring water for them even for tiny field trips, they get thirsty all the time. And take your time, their legs are small and they easily get exhausted and need rest.

When my Keld was two weeks old, we made small walks of a few hundred yards. We'd walk for 20 or 30 yards, then make a resting, eating and drinking stop, then walk on. It took about 20-25 minutes to make a trip that length.

4. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply's!...I only kept them outside for about 10 minutes if that...Yes they do get tired!...They so enjoyed eating fresh grass...When I picked them up they settled right down in my arms...I never expected geese to be such cuddle bugs...I hope they stay as sweet as they are right now!...

I have 6, one week old, WH in the brooder with the goslings...They think they are their parents...They seem to have bonded with them...I am hoping if the goslings follow me the WH will follow the goslings...LOL...The baby ducks are a lot more flighty than the goslings!

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I have noticed that our 4 goslings(3 Pilgrim & 1 Sebastopol) have bonded well with the older ducklings as well. They are calm and cuddly when picked up for us too.

We let our ducklings and goslings out in a small double fenced area for hours at a time. Ours can go back into the pen/barn at any time or spend time in the sun.

6. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:I have noticed that our 4 goslings(3 Pilgrim & 1 Sebastopol) have bonded well with the older ducklings as well. They are calm and cuddly when picked up for us too.

We let our ducklings and goslings out in a small double fenced area for hours at a time. Ours can go back into the pen/barn at any time or spend time in the sun.

How nice to have an area set up like that for your crew!...Working on coming up with an area for them to be able to get out on their own that is safe and secure...For now they have to rely on me to take them...Sounds like you are enjoying your babies too!

7. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011

How nice to have an area set up like that for your crew!...Working on coming up with an area for them to be able to get out on their own that is safe and secure...For now they have to rely on me to take them...Sounds like you are enjoying your babies too!

It is funny how they nibble and try to eat so many things. Try this grass, try this clover, and try this dandelion...... They are a blast.

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Try this ear lobe. Try this hair. Try this mole on his neck! The last one did NOT feel at all good, but I'm thinking in a couple more weeks when they're just a little bigger, they're going to be able to just snip it right off, and I won't have to pay the dermatologist $400 to do it!

9. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Try this ear lobe. Try this hair. Try this mole on his neck! The last one did NOT feel at all good, but I'm thinking in a couple more weeks when they're just a little bigger, they're going to be able to just snip it right off, and I won't have to pay the dermatologist $400 to do it!

ROFL...Yea I was thinking the same thing!...Mine were busy preening me and i thought it might not feel so great when they get bigger...They are obsessed with pulling on my shirt and preening me!

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Remember when you have them out that they need WATER even ten minutes of walking in the hot sun will result in them wanting a drink. They are not being cute they need water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by