Afraid to Touch my Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anianna, May 17, 2011.

1. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I have salmonella, probably not from my chicks, but I have been so frighteningly, terribly sick that I am now afraid to touch my chicks at all. I am in so much pain and haven't been able to eat for weeks. I pretty much sleep for 20 hours a day and am incredibly tired the four for which I am awake. I have an immune deficiency that makes me more susceptible to infection, but I do wash my hands fastidiously. Anyway, please make sure you and your kids/family wash hands after handling chickens, eggs, or bedding material. You do not want to get this. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

2. oceanwidedesigns

oceanwidedesigns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    I'm also immune suppressed, and was worried about this too. But... unless you live in a plastic bubble these days... we're exposed to so many awful bacteria's just living our day to day lives that we can't avoid. So I don't let it keep me from handling my chicks, I just always make sure to scrub with a good soap and hot water after handling them.

3. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I have had such a horrible season with pneumonia, strep, salmonella, etc. I would like my bubble now. [​IMG]

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    It sounds miserable. [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

5. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Any idea how you got it? I suppose it Could be the chicks [​IMG]....hope you feel Better soon

6. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:I'm sorry your sick to [​IMG] How would you catch it from them?? Is it spread through their feces?

7. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Yes, salmonella can be transmitted in their feces and good hand washing practices are usually enough. We don't know for sure how I got it and my doc thinks I most likely have a food-borne strain and it is just a coincidence that we got the chicks right after I got infected.

I am afraid to clean the brooder now. I used to wear gloves and scooped the bedding out (washing thoroughly afterward, of course), but now I've ordered a shop vac so I don't have to handle the stuff at all. Of course, now I have to wait for the vac to show up and the poos are building up, which doesn't help my state of mind. I know it's pretty irrational, but this kind of misery can really mess with your head.

8. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry to hear what an awful season it's been for you. It's hard to stay healthy these days! I hope your feeling better and the new season brings you a whole new life. [​IMG]

9. oceanwidedesigns

oceanwidedesigns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    Quote:Can you borrow a shop vac from anyone until yours arrives? My husband dumps the brooder for me, it's light enough that he can lift it over the trash can.

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    To be honest, the shop vac is probably going to kick up more stuff into the air than just hand-moving the stuff would. It sounded like your first method was the most sanitary.

You might want to also look into a brooder with a wire bottom and a slide-out tray. I wanted one myself because they are soooooooooooooooo easy to clean, but they can be expensive. My solution to that was to buy a guinea pig cage at PetSmart with a wire bottom. It's not fancy, but it's essentially the same. This method of brooding also is healthier on the chicks as they don't have to stand in their own waste all day.

PS: please don't leave your chicks unchanged while you wait for supplies. It would be cruel to make them sit in their own filth because of something they had no part in. Do you know anyone that can change the cage for you if you absolutely can't stand to do it yourself? Their tiny lives are in your hands, they don't deserve to get sick and die in excrement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by