Afraid we have 2 RIR Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by adamaschun, Oct 3, 2010.

1. adamaschun

adamaschun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Possum Town, TN
    Hi all, I just posted in the introductions thread. Long story short, my in-laws bought my son 2 Rhode Island Red chicks in April. The chicks were kept at my FIL's house until one chick died and we discovered he was keeping the other on in a 2X 2 cube with no shelter. My husband built the poor thing a coop at our house and we brought it here last Friday. The next day my MIL decided it was a hen and we needed a rooster. Well, our original chicken (who my son calls Betsy) is scared to death of the rooster. "Betsy" is about 5 months old, and the rooster is supposedly 8 months old. "Betsy" does not crow and has not laid an egg, but is looking more rooster-like every day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We can't continue to keep them together if they are both roosters, can we?

Pictures of "Betsy":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Betsy is a rooster.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Two roosters

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

You have roosters.

5. adamaschun

Oct 3, 2010
    Possum Town, TN
    Thanks y'all. That's what I thought, though I feel like a dummy for not being able to tell a hen from a rooster. Betsy is now named Bugsy and we're trying to find a home for the other rooster, Buster.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Do NOT feel this way at all! I know people who have had chickens for years and still cannot tell.

One way to tell a cockerel/roo from a pullet/hen are the saddle feathers. Saddle feathers are located just in front of the tail on the bird's back.

A girl will have fat round feathers - not much longer than her other feathers.

A boy, as he matures ( generally between 10 to 16 weeks) will start growing narrow, long pointy feathers (to me looks similar to long hair) - these feathers will eventually grow many inches and cover the wing tips.

this is a pullet:
    [​IMG]

This is her brother - see his saddle feathers vs. his sister - his are long, stringy and already flow past his wing tips?
    [​IMG]

7. adamaschun

Oct 3, 2010
    Possum Town, TN
    Thank you very much! I am a dog person, and showed Bichon Frises for 4 years. The dog industry is much less friendly sometimes (though it is quite easier to tell a grump from a dog [​IMG]). I'm feeling much more at home with chickens.

*edit* aww, it changed the word for female dog to "grump". That makes me laugh a lot.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:That's funny. I was wondering why I had never heard the term "grump" before for a female dog. [​IMG]

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by