1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

African Gander question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Frosty, May 28, 2008.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have six African Gray geese, and really love them, BUT... first off, the only behavior that I ever saw that resembled breeding was when one of the ladies was on top of the gander, and looked like she was trying to mate with him. Next thing I knew, one of the girls started setting, a few weeks later the gander started setting! I am fairly sure that it's a gander, it's knob is huge compared to the rest. I might have to vent sex it... anyhow, after setting for a few weeks, I moved them all into a fenced area around some bushes in the yard so that they could weed it for me, and 'he' was extremely upset to be taken from 'his' nest. All of the eggs were clear when I checked them, no signs of development. So... being that these guys are two years old, could this be a goose that just looks like a gander, is it a gander that is intimidated by an alpha goose, is he gay? Thoughts?

2. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I just bought some Africans this weekend, so no experience yet. But, if it laid eggs, it's female.

3. 1924vanhorn

1924vanhorn Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    lol : )

4. Pudge

Pudge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    One of my girls has a large knob on her beak, but she lays fertile eggs. My other girl doesn't have much of a knob at all. I guess yours may just be an alpha female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by