African Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bizzeeb60, Apr 9, 2009.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Our friends have a pair of African Geese that we are planning on buying from them next week (committed to them last week but DH just spayed the pond edges and it requires 7-10 days before fish are edible or animals should feed/graze on grass in area).

Anyhow, now DH is panicking because everyone is telling him that the Geese are mean and will not allow us to sit by the pond & relax without "attacking" us.

It does not help that the male (Clyde) did bite him on the Knee the first time he walked into the pen with our friend that we are buying them from.

Is this true or should we be able to coincide with them, the pond covers approx 1/3 acre when it is full so I would think there is plenty of area to share. [​IMG]

I think he is mainly worried about our 14 month old granddaughter when she visits us.

They are a beautiful pair of geese and I think having them in the pond just seems natural..

2. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    African Geese are known to be more aggressive from what I heard. Those and chinese. I was told to try Pilgrim, Sebastopols (which I can never spell), or (What was the other? Buff?)

LOL I'm not much help, but I decided to get Sebbies because their temperment is known to be better, but all males will get aggresive during the breeding season so you know. Maybe you want Ducks or Swans instead!

3. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Especially since I heard geese can live upward to 20 years! I didn't know THAT before I bought these 5 goslings!

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    For the record, Chinese geese are not aggressive whatsoever if they they are raised properly. I raised mine(2 boys, 1 year old) from 1 week old, and they never do anything even remotely aggressive toward me. They are actually, sweet, intelligent, trainable birds...if you bond with them when they are very young.

BUT, you may very well have problems with the geese you want to purchase because you didn't raise them. At the very least, they are likely to "test" you and your leadership over them. Chinese geese(African geese being similar), are very strong willed birds with considerable intelligence, so look out for their challenges. I don't know that I would let a young child around them, even if they do get along with you. They may just decide that the child is fun to bully, or they may accept her. It's really hard to say.

Personally, I would probably buy the geese...then again, I LOVE working with challenging animals. They are gorgeous(I want some myself), and would be a lovely addition to your pond, but I just want you to be aware that things may not go very smoothly at first. I think geese are worth the effort!

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Africans can be puppies or wolves! I had the pleasure of raising a pussy cat who would back down from even Bantam ducks that had the nerve to call his bluff. BTW the goose not the gander was the real boss. They are more likely to be defensive than aggresive in that they tend to pick out a area where they are going to nest and defend that area. I could almost draw lines around 'their area' you were likely to get challenged there and ignored in other places. Usually they don't spend a lot of time in the pool, maybe a bath once or twice a day and to mate.~gd

6. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I have several breeds of geese: Giant Africans, Sebastopols, Pilgrims, Shetlands, American Lavendar & Buffs, & Poms. Since it is breeding season for the geese, all of the geese are hissing a lot. My most aggressive geese are the Americans. The Africans, Shetlands and Pilgrims are the least aggressive. When I say aggressive they hiss a lot and try to sneak up behind me to take a little nip. The Africans generally just run away from me.

7. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Thanks everyone for the help. So I guess it will be somewhat like adopting a dog from the shelter.....be patient and allow for the adjustment and allow them to learn their new territory at their own pace and do not try to RUSH them into being the "perfect pet"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by