African Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MBWeber, Jan 31, 2013.

1. MBWeber

MBWeber Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2012
    Montana
    I need some help. I bought 3 African geese from a neighbor, one is developing a lot of Orange around the beak and face. Another has a very badly deformed wing, I was told it was from being squished by its mom during infancy, what can I do about it ?

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sounds more like Angel wing if it is deformed. How old are the three? If still about 4-5 months old you could tape the wing gentley. I do not know much about african geese only sebastopols....

3. MBWeber

Dec 19, 2012
    Montana
    Well over a year but thank you for your response

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What are you feeding them? reason I am asking is someone was feeding their geese corn and it turned them yellow. could it be something their eating that is causing the bill to turn orange. or maybe something their not eating. And sorry about the angel wing, it's nothing serious though other than looks and i am pretty sure the feathers can be clipped some to keep them from catching the wing on things.
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/AngelWing.cfm?CustID=81775

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    MB, if the beaks are just now turning colors during winter (in Montana, I presume), I suspect your goose has frostbite. As for the deformed wing, you could have corrective work done by an avian vet, but if it does not bother him, I'd leave it be.

6. MBWeber

Dec 19, 2012
    Montana
    They are eating Scratch and crumbles, but weather hasn't turned so bad for frostbite, I think. But will look at it closer thanks for the help

7. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    How is your goose/ gander doing? Do you have a picture that you can share that shows the wing?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    He maybe a brown/ white cross. I had a white Chinese gander, a white Chinese goose and a brown Chinese goose. The babies that came from the white x brown were brown but had orange in their bills. I'll see if I can find a picture of mine.

9. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MBWeber

Dec 19, 2012
    Montana
    Looks the same as mine so I guess no worries, and sorry don't have the capability to post pics at this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by