african gese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by skylar, Jan 25, 2011.

1. skylar

skylar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    beallsville
    im am getting african geese and i was wanderin if u guys could tell me what u know about them

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I know that African geese are actually a kind of Chinese goose similar to the brown Chinese. They can be loud and aggressive, though, and good protectors.

3. Hillbilly_Curt

Hillbilly_Curt Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    Africans are generally pretty docile. They talk alot, but usually quietly until alarmed. Then they can be loud. They're much larger than the Chinese.
    Some people think they were a cross from the Chinese and Toulouse, whereas Dave Holderread thinks that they're directly related to the Swan goose.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I have 4 of them....they are sweet as sugar. I've had them since dayolds. when all is good they are pretty much quiet.......but if something is wrong or a predator is near....they are loud loud loud.

Mine eat from my hand, and when I sit on the grass to watch them they fight for lap space and love to be petted.

I wouldn't trade them for anything [​IMG]

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:He doesn't think that, he KNOWS that they are related to the swam goose as are the Chinas. If you had ever seen the result of a China-Toulouse cross you would know too.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have had them and some were nice but most were aggressive especially during mating season. I NEVER turned my back on two of the males whereas the third male (Hammy) was in love with me and would follow me around. It really was not good for him as the rest of the flock disowned him because of it.

Africans are noisy, very noisy but good to alarm you to visitors. And LOL visitors won't just come to the door with a grown african goose coming after them. They will stick their neck out and charge whomever while making a very loud honking sound. Scary!

I have Pilgrim geese now and love them. I haven't gone through a mating season with them yet though. They are finally "adults" and although they were leary of me until now- they now follow me everywhere begging for food and for me to fill their big black tub up so they can bathe.

Overall, geese are great. Pretty self sufficient but need supplemental feed and some form of water that is big enough for them to get into to bathe. You don't have to have a pond but it would keep them very happy if you did.

Have fun with them

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Mine used to love to play under a sprinkler, I would start the sprinkler before I would start to change the water in kiddy pools to get them out of the way. My Africans were huge and had trouble getting in and out of pools. Then I learned that pools helped the big birds mate so I went to the larger deeper kiddy pools with some cement blocks to help them get in and out.

8. Hillbilly_Curt

Hillbilly_Curt Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    Quote:He doesn't think that, he KNOWS that they are related to the swam goose as are the Chinas. If you had ever seen the result of a China-Toulouse cross you would know too.

Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure of that as well, but without remembering exactly how Dave stated it, I wasn't going to say something that could possibly be false.

9. skylar

skylar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    beallsville
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by