1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

african goose language

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MichalK, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    does anyone know the meaning of the different sounds african geese make?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lets try @jchny2000

[​IMG]

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Bottle calves Premium Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My "africans" are hatchery, so I am told they are crossed with brown chinese. My big fella Jerk (he isn't now that he is matured) Does sound a lot like the chinese, but he has one different noise. When he is curious, or talking to me he makes a higher pitched OYyyy sound. My hens with him are brown chinese so I can't answer that one.
    Found this on you tube, its close to my fella but more shrill.

4. Mandi1441

Mandi1441 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Peepers makes a nickering sound like a horse when she is very excited like when she finds dandelions to eat. [​IMG] She also does it when I go outside and it almost sounds like she is saying hiiiiiiiii when she does it. [​IMG]

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Bottle calves Premium Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My gander says Huuuuuiii and looks at me so pleased! Its a definite happy sound, love to hear it! Usually its fermented grains that brings that comment out here. He is hatchery african, but has a different voice than chinese ganders do.

6. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    My hen made the loud ooyy sounds but Ganso did not.
    Ganso makes the little soft horsey sound, like baby talk or something...it's so adorable. It reminds me of what our macaw used to do when he was being cute.

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    African goose language?
    Usually if the males start honking very loud and no other noise besides a honk it's an alert honk for a predator or happy to see you and if they are tame they can make a little relief noise once they reach you.
    If he isn't tame and honks at you and makes a relief sort of sound means he's territorial.
    I've more Africans so I know what noises they make if they are going to fight or if they don't mind eachother.
    A young male can sometimes when he close to you rustle his feathers which means he likes you ;)

But they can also rustle their feathers and is a final warning before they will attack something.

If two ganders want to fight with eachother they usually make a final warning to back off by rustling their feathers.

So a tame goose rustling his feathers is good but a goose who's not tame and rustling his feathers is not good.

Females are mostly the same everything the male does but the male just shows more ;)

Since you have an African gander you will see that he will make odd neck movements.
    These are mating signs and usually they make a S shape with their neck and squirm their necks on the ground also their heads.

Young tame ganders can get very close with humans which is probably why the toulouse isn't hanging around with him.
    This bond will break a bit since there's now a female so give him time ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  8. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Woah didn't realise I wrote so much :,)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by