African Grey Need Rehoming

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by tiffanyh, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

I have a grey that came to me as a rescue-not behavior problem, his previous owner was sick. My plan was to keep him since I had always wanted one, but he is really not getting the attention he needs--or demands! [​IMG]

He is 12yrs old, male. He prefers female and doesnt want to be touched by children. From what I know, that is typical grey behavior. as well as the loud noises. He talks quite a bit and is a quick learner.

I am very particular about what home he goes to. I would prefer to keep him here rather than send him to a home he might return from. He comes with the condition that if it doesnt work out, he must come back to me.

He comes with a cage also.

I am very sad about this but I want to see him in a place he can be babied.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I love African Greys! He sounds like he will be the perfect pet for someone! I have too many kids around here (not to mention I'm really far away) Good luck on finding him a new home.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Is he a congo or a timneh grey ?? Might help someone who is researching.

I have a timneh and he is very much MY bird. Prefers the rest of the family not to touch his cage or play area and does not allow the others to touch him. Me he gives kisses and climbs all over my body.

I refer to him as my retirement companion because I plan for him to be with me forever assuming I live long enough to retire...lol. Dobbie is a delightful companion, although I wish I had more time to spend with him, as I work over 40 hrs per week and this cuts down on his attention.

They are quite intelligent and big lovers. They do need toys to keep them occupied but mine isn't a huge chewer like some of the other parrots. Like his mom he has never met a potato he didn't like and begs for people food.

If he sees me eating something and he is in his cage...he will "rake" his nails across the bottom of his metal dish while glaring at me... it's not quite the chalkboard sound but is almost as irritating and he learned quickly it gets my attention and he gets his portion from my plate/bowl...lol.

I'm sorry you can't keep him...perhaps things will change and you will change your mind. I fear if you re-home him you may worry about him too much to be at peace. Is he home alone ?? You could leave the radio or the television on for him along with treats and toys. Then turn him out when you come home from work. Mine is content to follow me about or hang on to me while I do chores, even sit at the pc together.

Just a side note.... he is not impressed with the chickens at all. Nor does he like any of my other birds.

Julie [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I wish you lived closer. My teen has always wanted a parrot, knows how long they live, and loves the idea of a 'forever' pet. But it's just not something we can afford to get her.

She's very responsible with animals, having raised and bred hamsters for a pet store (she did ALL the work to care for 8 adult hamsters and their offspring). When she decided it wasn't worth the work, she kept her breeders as pets until they died of old age. Their life span was awfully short, and that's when she started appreciating that of parrots. She's always liked birds, that was just another plus.

We visit Parrot Mountain a lot, and I am always amazed. She can get the crankiest nippers to climb on her and be friendly. Blows my mind!! She has no fear and works with them until they love her.

5. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    jab...
    he is a congo.

I do leave on noise for him but we are mostly home. He has birdy noises next to his cage. I let him follow me around, bring him on my lap but he doesnt like when I have to do anything else so yells continuously for me. he doesnt like when I love on my kids and gets upset. So if I have him on me and they come to me, they are 5 and 3, he gets very upset and screams.

I really do want to keep him and I know a few years down the road when I am less needed by toher, I will wish I had him but I want to do what will make him happy now....not me happy later.

You know??

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I pm'd you....

Julie [​IMG]

7. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hmmm....julie, I didnt get it???