African versus Brown Chinese

TSOWOATNKC

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
We bought three geese this spring. Two turned out to be Toulouse, one is either Brown Chinese or African, I really can't tell what it is. Lucy is definitely more petite than the two Toulouse. Lucy is smaller than the two White Chinese we we have that are 6 weeks younger too.

How can I know if Lucy is Brown Chinese or African? She/he is quite petite compared to the Buff, Toulouse, and White Chinese we have. Does that point one way or another?

Unfortunately, the screen on my phone (and only camera) is currently shattered. I don't have any recent photos to post. I was hoping for a description if possible. I know that both African and Chinese have the different top of the bill shape so you can tell the difference between them and another non-knob breed that looks similar as goslings. Is there anything like that type of difference between Chinese and African?

I have my phones back, hooray!

In this photo are Lucy, and one of our White Chinese (bottom center)that hatched early June, and a Pekin (to her left). Lucy is 6/8 weeks older. The size difference isn’t forced perspective, she’s dinky in comparison.
EFBA9A87-1942-4490-82E7-9F6136D4D931.jpeg

Last edited:
Lucy is very talkative, and quite pushy with the Ducks. Lucy breaks up mating in the yard all the time. The strange part is that she'll chase off the female rather than the male!

Last edited:
My African Goose was born in Feb. She weighs about 18 pounds and is about 2 and a half feet tall including the neck yours looks really tiny compared to mine but otherwise identical.

Back
Top Bottom