African Wild Cat in my backyard?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDOGG331, May 3, 2009.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think I just saw an African Wild Cat in my backyard. It looked just like one. It looked like a brownish tabby cat but was too big to be a regular house cat. It also had no tail (a stub and the tip looked red like he had been fighting). I think it was an African Wild Cat but now the question that really bugs me is what is an African Wild Cat doing in Plymouth County in MA? And that really bugs me. My cat was outside on the deck and didn't seem to like him. It was right by the deck looking right at us (we were inside), then went under the deck, then came back out and sauntered off into the woods and that's when my cat noticed him and didn't seem to like him. We then went to look it up and it looks almost exactly like an African Wild Cat. We then went to let the cat inside (our cat) and noticed Shamu (our neighbor's huge black and white cat and Mittens friend) and he darted off when we let Mittens (our cat) in. It was too big too be a regular house cat and it's walk/gait wasn't quite right, something about it looked wild. So now I worry about our cats and our neighbor's cats safety. It really bugs me and WHY is this thing here???? It's really weird and it really bugs me.

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    that sounds more like a BobCat to me! We have them here in the south too.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Bobcat, or a loose Bengal cat... one or the other.

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Yup probably a bobcat. They tend to be lanky and would fit the description perfectly.

5. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Sounds like a bob cat. African wildcats have tails, also it could have been a hybrid a Savannah or a Chausie that lost their tail ? [​IMG]

Either way it is always neat to see an animal that makes you stop and say wow! Hopefully he doesn't pose a threat to your cat. Maybe you should talk to your neighbors and see if anyone else has seen him around.

Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sounds like a bobcat to me too. I always think it is cool to see them. We have lots here but they are good at staying hidden.

7. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
  8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am an avid hiker and have been roamin these hills of So MO for 40 years and as yet...have never got the opportunity to glimpse a bobcat. That is on my list of things I wanna see !! I even sit for hours in camo, in hopes of seeing one. Hubby had one run up on him one time years ago while he was hunting.....Think I will put on my hiking boots right now and head to the woods!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here are some more details.I just found out a few hours ago that my dad had just seen it the other day in the same spot. He also said it wasn't scared at all (or at least didn't seem to be) because when he opened the door/went outside (the other day when he saw it) it didn't try to move/run away, it just sat there and/or looked at him. I don't know if this helps or not. thanks to all who have replied so far.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I am an avid hiker and have been roamin these hills of So MO for 40 years and as yet...have never got the opportunity to glimpse a bobcat. That is on my list of things I wanna see !! I even sit for hours in camo, in hopes of seeing one. Hubby had one run up on him one time years ago while he was hunting.....Think I will put on my hiking boots right now and head to the woods!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just buy a tree stand and climb a few trees around 5am during hunting season. Having one above you makes you go EEEEEEEEEEP! Despite the rifle you are carrying [​IMG] Never got a good look at one while hunting though.

KDOGG331 ~ the closest I've ever SEEN a bobcat, it was sitting in the middle of a picnic area in a wildlife preserve/camping area, on an overcast afternoon (around 4pm?) just sitting there. We used the bathroom near this camping area and when we walked out we saw it. It just ignored us. My dog was just a puppy then, so I remember it distinctly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by