African Yellow Billed Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Allears, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    IIA little while ago I started fostering 3, then 11 Egyptian Geese of about a day and a week old. (I've been writing about them on the Goose Thread where Miss Lydia and Carrosaur have been helping.) Then I got a little yellow billed duck which is about 3 weeks old. The older goslings were biting the duckling and pulling at his feathers so he had to be separated, which made him very lonely. So, I put 3 of the smaller goslings with him for company and they seemed pretty okay, unless the one lot of goslings heard the others and then they just kept crying. [​IMG]

So each night after the goslings have gone to bed, I've been sneaking the duckling into their nest and they wake up next to him and see he's no threat. Finally they seemed to have accepted him [​IMG]I still supervise during the day, but no incidents and if they do nibble at him he just nibbles back and its over.

BEFORE....

[​IMG]

AFTER - spot the Duckling...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happiness [​IMG]No more bars!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Aww, great job integrating him in with your goslings! Sometimes it's alot of work getting them all to accept each other and get along, but you did a good job. :)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You did do a great job, they all look very content with each other! [​IMG]

4. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    An update on the Yellow-Billed Duck and and EG goslings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Who'd have thought this would ever happen! They're all one big happy family now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    So Cute! [​IMG]

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Aww! Such a cute little family. And wow, the goslings are bigger than the Yellow-bill already!

7. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    [​IMG] They do grow quickly. The next phase is practising the running take-off and the only one I'm worried about at this stage is the duck because he's the only one who can pull it off, for now [​IMG]

8. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Spot Billed is a beautiful duck, thanks for the pictures.

9. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    They do look alike, but my ducks got brown legs. They must have common ancestry though.

Eastern Spot Billed

[​IMG]

African Yellow Billed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  10. Dagny Warmerdam

Dagny Warmerdam New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello. I am raising 2 yellow billed ducklings and would love to get in touch with you regarding your experience, especially with the release of them. I am a bit concerned that even though I have tried to not make them 'pets' that they will be predator feed too quickly. I have been looking to chat with someone who has successfully raised and released these amazing birds before. I am in Zeekoevlei, where there are quite a few yellow bills but I've had these guys since about a day or so old when their mum was taken out by a car. Sad. Anyway going on 6.5 weeks now.
    Please contact me if you would at [email protected] gmail.com if you won't mind chatting to me and hopefully giving me some pointers.
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by