After 2 weeks in their new home, stopped laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VT-510, Mar 9, 2012.

1. VT-510

VT-510 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Hi, I made my introduction here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636863/vermont-hellos#post_8554694
    and am having problems with my new birds. They were laying well, between 2 and 3 eggs for the first 10 days that I had them and it progressively slowed, and now has entirely stopped for about 2 weeks.
    I was questioning the wood chips that I put into the coop, a mix of Black Walnut, Larch, Pine and Cherry, so I switched that out yesterday to a Pine / White Oak mix (I have access to whatever my friend at the mill has been using).
    As for their temperament, they are spritely and vital, lots of running around (free range) and are eating okay, not quite as voraciously as when I first got them. Maybe a little weight loss. Drinking yes. No broodiness. Poops are all good.
    They spend an inordinate amount of time under a Pine tree off of my driveway, as I write this I look out my window and see them all there happily scratching at god knows what.
    Any idea on what could cause the drop off to what appear to be totally active healthy birds?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Are you sure they aren't hiding eggs on you? I would go for an egg hunt if I were you.

3. VT-510

Mar 8, 2012
    Believe me, I have. And they were cooped up for about 5 days after a big snow, and still nothing. That also eliminated the predator snatching them idea that I had as there were no tracks.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Any rodents in the coop?

5. VT-510

Mar 8, 2012
    Nope, wired bottom and as stated above, there's been snow on the ground and no tracks.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you done a bug check on them? Have they been wormed lately?

7. VT-510

Mar 8, 2012
    No and no. If these these questions are too noob I'll search them out...but what's involved in each?

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

That's a link on bugs.

You can check their poop for worms if you like, but you are not likely to see anything unless they are riddled with them. You can also have their poop checked by your local vet. They can check out a sample and tell you if there is a problem. Some folks skip the testing and just treat for worms.

9. VT-510

Mar 8, 2012
    Interesting. Thanks for the link. I know what I am doing tomorrow, oh joys.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah...bummer. Bugs are such a nuisance. Unfortunately, they are also a deadly nuisance. At least the weather will be reasonable. My birds generally get bugs in the dead of winter when everything is frozen solid. Last year I spent Christmas eve chipping frozen bedding out of the coop and treating all the birds for mites in 10 degree weather.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by