After 24 hrs should I help a pipped egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I am on day 22 with my silkie eggs. My first baby came night before last on day 20. When I moved her to the bator, she died shortly after. Now of the 14 eggs left in there, only one had pipped about 24 hrs ago. I heard noises throughout the day, I think from that egg? but now the last couple hrs, hear nothing. It has not started to zip yet, only a small hole. I have eggs in a carton and I haven't noticed any movement. I know your not supposed to help out, but I already lost one and now not sure what to do. I would've thought that by now, more would be hatching or at least pipping. At day 18 it seemed all was well with all of them. I only removed the hatched baby at 18 hrs afterwards, because she was getting her foot caught in the wire bottom. Other than that I haven't opened the bator. I'm not sure what to do now with this one? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i usually wait until at least 36 hours until i help them...and after that i zip the egg for them and they have to get themselves out

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Ok, I will wait a little longer. This is my first hatch and after losing my first little one...Im very nervous! Thank you

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    How many other eggs are in the incubator that have not pipped or hatched yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by