after 4 month of sleeping in coop, chickens refuse to go in

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by romanticviolin, Oct 30, 2010.

1. romanticviolin

romanticviolin New Egg

Jun 5, 2010
    Tonight, two of my four chickens, decided they wanted to camp outside the coop. One was huddled under my deck in a corner and the other one was perched on the deck railing. They are both Wyandottes. The other two chickens, Orpingtons, went to bed as usual. The Orps have been laying for over a month and the Wyandottes, well at least one Wyandotte, is now laying. What's up with them not wanting to sleep in the coop? I put them in, anyway, for their own good.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Usually that goes along with being bullied. Do you watch them interract during the day? Or right before bedtime? Do they all have enough space to roost? Do they all let eachother on the roost?

3. romanticviolin

romanticviolin New Egg

Jun 5, 2010
    Thanks for your insight. I just figured out what may have happened. This afternoon, I hung a new feeder from the ceiling of the run. The ceiling is only about three feet high. The chickens had to walk by it to get to the coop. Wyandottes seem a bit skittish and nervous and I think they were a bit scared by the big hanging thing. When I put them in the run they just squatted down and stayed there for a while. But then they went in to the coop and hopped up on the perches. Maybe I can move the feeder in a bit more so they aren't bothered by it. Once they figure out there's food in there, I think they'll be OK.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Great. I find that my Wyandotte is shy as well.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I think you figured it out. Chickens dislike change- some breeds more than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by