1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After a long, drive, just got my 3 baby chicks. questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by starck5, Apr 22, 2008.

1. starck5

starck5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    After the local feed mill told me that it would be another month before I got the 9 baby hens that I ordered, the search was on. My kids were crushed when I didn't bring home baby chicks last wed. So I opend up the trading post and found baby chicks 1 1/2 hr away from my home. So the girls and I drove up and they picked out a chick for each kid.

So, why do they sleep with their head on the ground.

They are 2 wks old. Can I give them treats. I put a chunk of grass in there house for them to peck at. Is that ok.

They sure like to try and fly around. How often should I clean their box?

When you let them out to run around for the first time. Will it be hard to catch them, to put them back in the brooder box?

I am so new to this. Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    Babies are so funny when they just sleep wherever they stop. They are fine sleeping like that. I would also recommend cleaning it when it looks dirty. I don't think there's a set amount of time that you should clean it. I'm not sure about the grass or the treats, I don't give my month olds either and they're doing just fine. I think there's a place on here that has some recommendations for treats if you want to give them. I'm new to the site.

3. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would probably wait a bit before I let them roam around too. Just have them enclosed in something and stay out with them so other critters don't take advantage!!

4. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    My Coconut loves to sleep "face down" in the pine shavings!! She has done that since we brought her home as a day-old.

My newest babies did that the first night we brought them home too.. Abigail fell asleep standing up, with her head on the ground! It was so cute!!

I take mine out for a few minutes everyday, but not until they were 2 weeks old. We live in Louisiana, so the weather here has been warm enough to let the babies have some "grass time" as my son and I call it.

Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks!!
    [​IMG]

Ohh, and I give mine treats, but they have to have grit if you are going to give them something other than chick starter.. one of the first treats I gave was chick starter crumbles and watermelon.. it made a kind of mush that the chicks just LOVED!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hahahaha a coupe of mine still sleep with their head down in the shavings...they are 5 weeks old.

You missed the newborn stage...they will be standing and start wobbling and just fall over asleep. hahahahaha

6. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    [​IMG]

I did like to watch them "poop out" as itty babies. The first time it happened with Lola, I thought she had suddenly died.. and so I poked her with my finger and woke her up. My friend said I was as bad as a new mama who checks constantly to see if her baby is breathing, LOL

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    My husband was constantly poking ours because they do look dead when they sleep. Once yo find out that its normal it's actually pretty cute.
    We let our tiny babies run around on the carpet. As long as u can lock the dogs and cats out of the room. They also like to snuggle and sleep on us when we watch tv. They are spoiled. If we dont get them out for snuggle time every day they get mad.

8. farmerwannabe

farmerwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Quote:Curious - do you wear any "protective" clothing? We always seem to get pooped on when we take them out to play...

[​IMG]

9. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm glad you could get some chicks for your kids!!! A month is a long time to wait!!! What kind did you get?

10. starck5

starck5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Surprisingly I have yet to be pooped on!! They seem to wait until I set them down and then they go. Good little chickies. They are growing so fast. They sure eat a lot, and like to make a mess on the floor by kicking out their pine shavings. Good thing they are in the garage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by