1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After a long time in the making, we have chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firefyter-Emt, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked these girls up this weekend from a fellow BYC member. These are our first chickens and the coop is still a ways away from being done. However, the chicks are just a week old and will be in my "brooder" for a while still. The brooder is a large dog crate and they seem very happy. I have just a 25 watt bulb, but they seem to be fine as they do not bunch up, nor hide from the light. It is hot here right now though! They are also sitting on a "knock down" work bench I use in my shop for projects and have two bungie cords holding it, and the oak strip the lamp is on, in place.

I have a shallow plate of water, some grit on the other plate and the classic mason jar feeder with some starter feed in it. I will add a small roost for them to practice on soon.

Anyway, after planning for about 2 years we got our butt in gear and now have the girls. We have two Barred Rocks and four Buff Orpingtons. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I thought you didn't give chicks that young grit? I don't know for sure but I thought I read that on here somewhere today. Just asking because I'm not sure. Boy they are cute. [​IMG]

I justed looked at my grit bag and it said: Provide to poultry that are 10 weeks or older?

I'm going to ask and we will see that we get.

3. Firefyter-Emt

I am not sure, the guy that had them said they were taking the grit he had in there so I figured I would give them a little too. Should I not be doing this? The bag I bought siad "chick grit" and on the stuff I have it said to provide to chicks "up to" 10 weeks??

Heck, there is even a baby chick on the front of the bag.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I put a post up and PM'ed you. My post said " Grit when do you give it". I got a couple of answers. I didn't kow there was grit for chicks up to 10 weeks so I guess I learned something. Sorry. I'm glad I posted it now I know.

This was my second answer.

I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but I started giving my chicks "chick grit" that is specifically for chicks, b/c we are letting them eat bugs and the seed on grass when it grows tall enough to seed. I was told that if you feed them anything else, than chick starter, then they must have chick grit. Again I don't know if this is right, but I have been doing it for about a week now and they are perfectly healthy and seem a little more enriched since we began the bugs and grass.

5. Firefyter-Emt

Please, don't feel bad at all! I am even more confused now because the feed bag (Dumor Chick Starter/Grower 20%) does say that "If used as directed, additional vitamins or minerals (like oyster shell) are not required."

Now the grit is "crushed granite" from "Nutri-Source" and the front of the bag says "Helps assure healthy digestion in chicks" On the back, it said "Provide free choice next to feed or mix 1lb to 20lbs of feed. Provide to young birds up to 10 weeks of age" (PS, they do sell a "Chicken grit" too)

Now what may be the case is that I do not really need it because the Dumor chick feed is already good enough??

PS, I did see you PM and I was looking up some info on the net to try to clarify it all.

6. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    If you are giving them someting other than chick starter, they can and should have chick grit. [​IMG]

7. Firefyter-Emt

What else would be OK to give them at this age?

8. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    They are pretty small still, I would wait a couple weeks. Maybe some crushed shelled unsalted sunflower seeds? They would have to be really small.
    From what I have read they don't need oyster shell until they get to laying age. But the grit has to be given if they are eating anything other than chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by