After Adding Artificial Light...How Long Until Laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kindredspirit, Feb 1, 2013.

1. kindredspirit

kindredspirit New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    I live up here in Maine and while we're finally beginning to see some more sunlight throughout the day, I finally got frustrated with the lack of eggs and got around to installing light and a timer to ensure my birds get 14hrs of light a day.

I installed it about a week ago - with a 60 watt incandescent lightbulb. How long until I can expect eggs again? Will it likely take a while since I didn't using artificial light sooner in the fall/winter months?

Thanks!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Two weeks is the lenght of time, generally needed for them to respond to the light.

3. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    Hello fellow Mainer! I have had my heat light in the stall since Nov and within a week my girls began laying...but they also didnt go as long without light as yours have so perhaps that made a difference. It started slow though, I got 1 egg, then a couple days later another egg, then a couple more days and pretty much all of them were laying. On the other hand, my geese do not have a light in their stall and they just started laying last week and will probably lay til June. I'd say laying is right around the corner...but they are all different :)

4. kindredspirit

kindredspirit New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! That was really helpful :) Hopefully then I'll be seeing eggs out of my reds soon :D

littlechick1005 - yay Maine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by