After Antibiotics for respiratory illness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KimmieKat36, Nov 25, 2016.

1. KimmieKat36

KimmieKat36 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    Been giving Tylan 50 injectable for 5 days. How long should I wait to reunite the flock? Also, one hen is still sounding rattly and raspy. Should I continue her dosage? Also been using VetRX on her.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you know if it was bacterial, viral or some other cause?

3. jld1977

jld1977 New Egg

Nov 25, 2016
    I'm having the same issue. I have 2 hens that have bubbles in their eyes. I just finished treating the whole flock of 14 with duramycin powder. And one with bubbles with Tylan 50. Now I have another hen that has bubbles and the one I just treated has them again. Another one is sneezing. I really don't know what else to do.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. KimmieKat36

KimmieKat36 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    I don't know of it was viral or bacterial.. From the symptoms looked and sounded like Coryza. So just treated with the all around Tylan.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It helps to start your own thread so we don't get confused about the chickens we are helping. Bubbles and foam can be symptoms of mycoplasma (MG) a respiratory disease. MG can respond to Tylan and tetracycline, but there can be an underlying virus or fungal infection complicating the issue. It might help to contact your state vet to find out how to get one tested, but if you lose one, they can also tell you how to get a necropsy to find out the illness.

1 person likes this.
  6. jld1977

jld1977 New Egg

Nov 25, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I'm new to the chicken thing. Do I treat the whole flock with some meds in their water or use the injectables for just the ones that have the bubbles? And is the MG ever viral?

7. KimmieKat36

KimmieKat36 Just Hatched

Nov 25, 2016
    So no one answered my original question. How long after the antibiotics should I wait before putting the flock back together? Been 2 days since the last 5 day dosage.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There is no way to accurately answer that without knowing what disease it was in the first place. That dictates the virulence and possible contagion.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with ChickenCanoe. Since most respiratory diseases are chronic, most flocks become carriers for either life or in the case of infectious bronchitis, up to a year. Antibiotics only are effective againt the bacterial or mycoplasmal diseases, but not the viruses or fungal diseases. So even though you separated the sick ones, the antibiotics don't make them disease-free. They are still carriers. Mycoplasma is fairly common in backyard flocks, but there is also infectious bronchitis, ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis, among others. I would contact your state vet to arrange for testing a couple of sick ones to find out what you are dealing with. If one dies, that would be the best way to find out by getting a necropsy performed. Here is a list common diseases and one of state vets and poultry labs:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by