After breaking a broody, when will she start laying again???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy's Animals, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Hi guys, I had a broody silkie hen that I successfully made un-broody. Now, when will she start laying again??? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Anywhere from 1 week to a month... unless there are other circumstances.

3. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Mahonri, how come the time varies to greatly? and what do you mean when you said "unless there are other circumstances" ???

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The more days they are left in a broody state, the longer it takes for them to get back to laying eggs. If you want a hen to stay in production and you notice her going broody it is best to pull her right away and put her in a wire cage with a wire floor and nothing to hide in or under. Think "Camp X-Ray" or something along those lines. I have heard that putting a rooster in with her to pester her regularly will also get her off of being broody but I'm not sure about that.

5. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She was brooding for 24 days until I candled her eggs and found all the embryos dead, so then I broke her broodiness, is it safe to assume then that it'll take at least 25 days for her to start laying again? No, the rooster thing doesn't work, she and a roo are my silkie breeding pair so they're always together and when she was broody, he would dance for her when she came of the nest for her break and she would raise all her feathers and make angry noises/grunts and skedaddle off and screech at him if he came too near, so that sure turned him off [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, as Mahonri said, usually between a week and a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: