After chick loss how long does it take for a chicken to start laying eggs again?

Eden83_haaretz

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Mexico, Puebla
So the question comes about because one of my chickens lost her last chick to a Hawk . We're definitely getting something to shoot them down of something whilst we wait to build them a covered chicken run to be in. 😖😑

But I did want to know how long before she starts laying again? Thanks.

Chick loss means nothing to egg laying, but she did just get off being broody it's hard on a hen, one she has time to rebuild her energy she'll lay.
Ps, don't shoot the hawks, they're protected.
I guess I should check in my country if they are... This was not just one Hawk that have been taking my chicks I've seen at least 4 different ones, I think they are thriving where we live, saw a huge eagle think it was going after a snake. The truth is if they didn't want to finish off my chicks I wouldn't mind them they are beautiful creatures.

I guess I should check in my country if they are... This was not just one Hawk that have been taking my chicks I've seen at least 4 different ones, I think they are thriving where we live, saw a huge eagle think it was going after a snake. The truth is if they didn't want to finish off my chicks I wouldn't mind them they are beautiful creatures.

Yeah, I'm really sorry that's happening to you. I've felt that way before myself. I respect all wild animals but I'd much rather they stayed away from the chicken house! There are apparently ways to discourage them. Bird netting can throw off any bird that runs into it as they can't really see it. Shiny objects (some people tie CDs on string) can throw them off. A large enough animal nearby (dogs, geese if they attach to your flock, some people even use donkeys). Fake owls sometimes work. Pretty much anything you can do to make the area seem like an difficult place to hunt, as predators want the easiest meal they can get because of the energy they expend hunting.

If you have no problem keeping them safe at night, you might want to consider making a chicken tractor or small hoop coop that you can keep them in/under to protect them from hawks, especially when you have chicks involved. I'm sure the mother hen will appreciate less stress from predators over being upset about not getting free range.

Good luck with your efforts!

I hope you were able to rectify your hawk issue. I have covered pens for mine so they are protected from aerial predators.

Back
Top Bottom